Do shipped eggs really hatch?

Actually, that's not 100% true, because I can follow on some of my standard priority mail packages each step of the way. Acceptance here, when it leaves Anchorage, when it hits the next major hub, etc. It's just not ALWAYS. And that's just with normal shipping, not express.
smile.png

Actually, that's not 100% true, because I can follow on some of my standard priority mail packages each step of the way. Acceptance here, when it leaves Anchorage, when it hits the next major hub, etc. It's just not ALWAYS. And that's just with normal shipping, not express.
smile.png

Same here. And I get emails when they are scanned/updated.

Most of my boxes get scanned at the Aiken PO,, again that night in Atlanta, then when they reach a hub, and when they arrive at the PO, and again when they are delivered or accepted.

I just had a box that didn't show in the system AT ALL and I was worried, but when the box was delivered, the bottom of the label had been ripped off so there was nothing TO scan.

It makes me so anxious when the occasional box doesn't get scanned when it leaves our PO and just shows that I've 'printed the label but not shipped' when I know it was mailed.

There is an option to print scan forms to go with a package --- I thought --- so it DOES get scanned, but when I did that all it did was confuse things at my local PO.

Has anyone tried using SCAN forms?
smile.png

Lisa​

I just have to ask this. Has anybody used express mail to ship eggs, and if so how did the hatch rate turn out? I see a few sellers offering to ship express, and it seems to be frightfully expensive. It might be worth it though if the survivability were improved enough.

Jim

Oy! I haven't read this whole thread through. I haven't gotten to the hatch point yet but I will tell you about my (newbie) experience.

All eggs rest btwn 8-24 hours after unpacking. I candle before they go in the incubator... then they go into cartons... Into the incubator. Incubator has a digital thermometer/hygrometer that radios information to my station so I know what is going on at all times. I tip the incubator 3 times a day. I do open on candling days (7 and 14, because I want to see!) and to add water when needed (haven't mastered the adding of water through the vent hole), I need to find my smaller funnels. I do have to say that tipping the whole incubator is surely much better, less jostling, less chance for unintentionally messing up newly developing eggs especially.

I have ordered 5 sets of eggs.

The first set was apparently scrambled by the PO (beautiful white silkies too), nary a broken egg, but detached air cells and all quitters except maybe, just maybe one... (we'll find out on the 21st.)

Second set.. arrived the very next day. One broken egg, the eggs seemed really porous.. I thought they wouldn't be any good. To my great suprise 8 out of the 9 are cookin' right along, amazing!.. they are due out the 22nd..

(these 2 batches will be locked down in a hatching incubator on the 19th until everyone goes).

Third set... Shipped by USPS, arrived in great shape ordered 12 eggs received 18, none broken, showgirl eggs... I just candled them, had one quitter, 4 questionables that I left in, and 13 cookin' right along at day 8. Pretty good I think! (Hey including one that had the air cell at the bottom, I turned it over but I'm not sure it's developing.. it's one of the ???)

Fourth set... the PO kept them in transit for 7, yes 7 days!!! NUTS! But I went ahead, let them rest and put them in. I will candle them on Sunday night to see if anyone has made it..

Fifth set I had my Dad pick them up and they had a personal transport to my house. However, when they arrived they were very dirty. So I decided to wash 3 of them, 4 I left unwashed. So with a warm 10% bleach solution I wrapped with damp paper towels and then wiped the worst poop off. I marked them, so we'll see what happens there, but I like to experiment. (I can't help it... it's what I used to do for a living!)

In any event, it seems the defining factor here appears to be post office treatment. The post office used to be so reliable. I can't imagine where the one package went for so long. And I also can't imagine what they did to that first batch of white silkie eggs, that box was so clearly marked that it was hatching eggs that a person had to be intentionally negligent to bash it around, and yet bash it they did.

But I can tell you.. both sets of eggs that are questionable came from people whom I really trust to know what they are doing... I have no question that the issue is with either me or the PO!

Quote:
lol.png
Me too!! I can't help it!!! But I've found that if they're a dry poopy, take a knife or blade of some sort and just scrape the poopies off. Then I wet my hands and dry them with a paper towel... it leaves just enough water on the towel to wipe the rest of the goo off. Seems to work pretty well. I put a "W" on the ones I washed to see if it makes a difference!
lol.png

I've had multiple 0% hatches, and I am known as the "One chick wonder", though a couple of people have managed to rid me of that name.
smile.png
One BYCer, "Crackers", actually packed 6 silkie eggs in his checked luggage when he came here from Florida... 4 hatched and I've got some beautiful birds that I wouldn't have otherwise! (He's coming up here again soon!
ya.gif
) I increased my shipped-egg hatches by using a carton and auto turner too... seems to be more gentle than my hand turning.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I saw somebody mentioned that you should take you package to the P.O. as early in the day as you can, to get it on the way as soon as possible. That's often not helpful. At my local P.O., the package isn't leaving until around 5PM, whether I'm there as they open for the day, or drop it off just before closing. It doesn't matter. The pick up times are set for specific times of day. Ours is 5pm. So call you P.O and ask, before you play beat-the-clock to get there early in the morning.

I had a long discussion with my post mistress. She said there's no way to avoid the machine sorting/conveyor belt handling that packages get. They ALL get the same, fragile or not. The only time your package markings matter at all, are the short times when people actually touch them. I've started putting pics of the eggs, what the hatchlings will look like, and what they'll look like as adults, on the box. I also put "Live embryos, please handle with care" and "fragile".

So far, my eggs have been delivered intact, and carriers have commented to the people receiving them, that they enjoyed the pictures, and said they wished all eggs were marked as well. My theory is that it will get the attention of folks handling them, and maybe they'll be a bit gentler, maybe put my box where it won't get crushed by that other big heavy box over there...

I don't think they go out of their way to hurt our eggs, I think they just don't notice ordinary "fragile" markings, among the thousands of packages they handle. Sure, there's a few jerks here and there, but I don't think they're the majority.

PIC00003-1.jpg

PIC00002-1.jpg

Quote:
These are superb ideas. As I also mentioned earlier up-post, The handling of packages has little to with people any more. It used to, when people actually did such jobs as lading and package handling. But those days are gone. It's not anybodys "fault," per se, as it's more that todays machines are simply insensitive.
Oh the P.O. will tell you that their equipment is designed to treat each package gently and with equal aplomb. But who wants their box of inner tubes treated like a parcel containting hatching eggs? According to their website, they offer a "Special Handling" option, for about $8... but even they cannot guarantee it will mean anything.

But it seems that whenever you can draw attention to them, with things like signature confirmation or vivid pictures, well - so much the better. At least on the people ends of the shipping ordeal, such things might remove one more variable.

The picture thing should become the standard, if you ask me!

Dancingbear, that is brilliant.
smile.png
I might just have to try that.

If I might add, though, there IS a way to request that the package is not run through the normal machine grind...
USPS Special Handling Services

Special Services pricing

It's $7.40 up to 10 lbs, and $10.40 over 10 lbs. You get special preferential treatment. (That's the theory, anyway). So, if you're having eggs shipped in and are willing to pay a little more for shipping, you could request the seller add this to the package.

It's still hit or miss with me, though... I ordered rare eggs, sent Priority, and they were scrambled and late. I ordered them again, paying up to $75 for the eggs and express shipping... still took 3 days to get here and only one egg hatched. This year she sent me 24 eggs for free, and 12 hatched. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom