Do Sillkies roost?

BoerneChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Boerne, TX
Not sure I am in the right topic - so please let me know if I should move this. I am new to chickens and have one 8 wk old Silkie. Tonight was the first night they were integrated with the older hens (24 weeks) in the hen house after everyone had roosted. The other 8 wk old - Plymouth Rock - hopped up on the low roost (about 6 inches above the bedding) and seems settled. But I am feeling sad for the little silkie. She is huddled under the roost all by herself. I had ordered two silkies in this batch (bantam plymouth rock and the silkies) so she would have a buddy, but the second silkie died in shipping so she is the only one of her kind. Should I add another lower roost for her? What do I do for her - she looked so miserable huddled under everyone. She is so sweet and cute and I love her to death and I want her to be happy
sad.png
hu.gif
hit.gif

Do you try putting her up on it? We have a few silkies and a frizzle that dont roost with the rest of the flock up high.
We made a low roost too, and most of them get on it. I usually have one or 2 that find a corner to hide in.
If you can find a silkie buddy for her it might make you feel better
smile.png
I would want to get her a buddy too.

Quote:
I did try putting her on the low roost and she was so startled she fell off
sad.png
I may try again tomorrow - or maybe I can make her a little ramp to get up by her Plymouth Rock buddy.

I should mention my boyfriend thinks I'm a bit of a nut for worrying so much about my little chickies
smile.png

Generally silkies do not roost. None of mine do. They tend to group together at night in a corner. I raised a silkie rooster with an ameracauna hen. They are still good budddies, but the silkie rooster sleeps on the ground (in shavings) at night and the ameracauna hen goes up to roost.

Cristi

Back
Top Bottom