Do some hens react different to hot weather?

Hoonta

Chirping
Aug 15, 2017
I have one hen who has been laying everyday and I just got another about 3 weeks ago who is about a year old and isnt laying but it is hot so do they react to it different

If you just got her 3 weeks ago, she is still adjusting to her new home. A change in environment generally results in a cessation in production for a period of time.
sorry for the late response but the one that's laying right now layed the day after we got her the one thats laying is a Rhode island white and the one that is a year old is a plymouth rock if that helps

The heat combined with new environment could be the cause. The new hen might not have been fed properly by the previous owner and she may not be as healthy-- healthy, unstressed chickens tend to take extremes in weather in better stride than unhealthy or stressed birds. Have you checked her for lice and mites? That could cause her to not lay. Molting is another possibility, or maybe it's seasonal, caused by decreasing length of daylight hours.

The heat combined with new environment could be the cause. The new hen might not have been fed properly by the previous owner and she may not be as healthy-- healthy, unstressed chickens tend to take extremes in weather in better stride than unhealthy or stressed birds. Have you checked her for lice and mites? That could cause her to not lay. Molting is another possibility, or maybe it's seasonal, caused by decreasing length of daylight hours.
ok thank you I will check on that

Back
Top Bottom