Do spurs indicate roosters in my future?

Prairie Dawn

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 9, 2013
I have 2 chicks that are now 6 weeks old. A friend of mine looked at them and noticed they both had, on the back of each leg a little bump. She said the bumps were the beginning development of "spurs" which, she said means they are both roosters. Can anyone confirm that for me as fact? OR - below are photos of them at 2 and1/2 weeks old. Any guesses by looking at their tails???
Thanks!!

those pics are too young to tell, but pretty much all birds have spur buds at this age, male and female. totally not reliable for sexing. At this age, you're looking at comb size/color and leg thickness.

Oh good! There's still hope for hens! When you say "at this age" are you talking about the photos of them at 2 and ½ wks or the 6wks old that they are now? Thanks for the info!

I have 2 chicks that are now 6 weeks old. A friend of mine looked at them and noticed they both had, on the back of each leg a little bump. She said the bumps were the beginning development of "spurs" which, she said means they are both roosters. Can anyone confirm that for me as fact? OR - below are photos of them at 2 and1/2 weeks old. Any guesses by looking at their tails???
Thanks!!

welcome-byc.gif
They are SO cute! Do you have any recent pics?

Spurs don't tell gender, most roosters are close to a year old before you see the spurs start to grow. All chickens have spur bumps (even hens will have small ones if you look closely) some hens will flat out grow spurs.

Oh good! There's still hope for hens! When you say "at this age" are you talking about the photos of them at 2 and ½ wks or the 6wks old that they are now? Thanks for the info!
At 6 weeks, comb size and color and leg thickness would be your best indicators of gender. If you have current pics, post them and we should be able to give you a good idea of gender.

I just snapped these photos. Erza & Lucy will be 7 weeks old on Sunday, Nov 10th. I brought them home from the Fryeburg Fair. The fellow who manages the poultry barn gave them to me. He said that Lucy is an Ameracauna…we'll see! Does this give anyone a better idea of their gender???

Erza Erza

Lucy in front & a good leg shot of Erza in the back. Lucy

Leg shot - Erza in front. Lucy in back. Leg shot - Erza in front, right. Lucy in back.

Thank you for the input! Ha! Maybe my son needs to start thinking of a name change! Or, I might need to start looking for a new home
sad.png
. Lucy is especially sweet - maybe he'll be a reasonable addition for my two hens, Henny & Penny.

Henny (NewHampshire Red) & Penny (Easter Egger)

Back
Top Bottom