Do the chickens get mad when I take their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenalice, Mar 2, 2011.

1. chickenalice

chickenalice In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Sometimes when I am collecting eggs, some of the chickens run over to the nest and stare at me. Also, one time one of them flew up at my back while I was collecting the eggs.

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Make sure they are out ofthe hen house before collecting eggs then. Then they won't know where they went!! [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I just thank them for the eggs. Do you have fake eggs in there too? If not, might be a good idea.

4. mkearsley

mkearsley Chirping

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    I have a Polish who laid all summer long. She didn't like using the nest boxes for whatever reason, so I got to hunt eggs each evening. After about the 3rd time of finding the nest, she'd move it, and lay the eggs some place else. I think she was getting very mad at me for taking her eggs. My Black star does the same thing as your birds - she'll come squawking up to me when I approach the coop & then she'll follow me all the way to the house [​IMG] So, yeah I think they do get upset. Fortunately, the black star only moves the nest from one corner of the coop to the other, although she & the silver-laced wydanotte did lay in the compost pile a few times (which is next the the coop).

I do have a golf ball laying where I "want" them to lay, but sometimes they just kick it out of the way and/or ignore it. Maybe this Easter I'll get some little plastic eggs to give them....

5. chickenalice

chickenalice In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Well recently they have been sitting in the nest on top of the eggs protecting them. whenever we go near them, they squak. what should i do?

6. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Mine don't seem to mind. Most times I gather after they are off the nest.
    Maybe yours are broody?

7. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:You just described a broody hen.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if their psyches are damaged. It is time to take them to a chicken psychologist.

9. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Sounds like a broody to me, when they're sitting on top of the eggs.. she's not trying to protect the eggs so much as she's trying to hatch some, lol. When my broody does that, the feathers on her head stand up straight and she yells at me as she's trying to peck my hand away.

Edited to add that she's the one in my avatar, and you can actually see the feathers start to come up on her head there too [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You just described a broody hen.

+1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: