Do the chickens get mad when I take their eggs?

chickenalice

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Sometimes when I am collecting eggs, some of the chickens run over to the nest and stare at me. Also, one time one of them flew up at my back while I was collecting the eggs.

Make sure they are out ofthe hen house before collecting eggs then. Then they won't know where they went!!
wink.png

I have a Polish who laid all summer long. She didn't like using the nest boxes for whatever reason, so I got to hunt eggs each evening. After about the 3rd time of finding the nest, she'd move it, and lay the eggs some place else. I think she was getting very mad at me for taking her eggs. My Black star does the same thing as your birds - she'll come squawking up to me when I approach the coop & then she'll follow me all the way to the house
lau.gif
So, yeah I think they do get upset. Fortunately, the black star only moves the nest from one corner of the coop to the other, although she & the silver-laced wydanotte did lay in the compost pile a few times (which is next the the coop).

I do have a golf ball laying where I "want" them to lay, but sometimes they just kick it out of the way and/or ignore it. Maybe this Easter I'll get some little plastic eggs to give them....

Well recently they have been sitting in the nest on top of the eggs protecting them. whenever we go near them, they squak. what should i do?

Sounds like a broody to me, when they're sitting on top of the eggs.. she's not trying to protect the eggs so much as she's trying to hatch some, lol. When my broody does that, the feathers on her head stand up straight and she yells at me as she's trying to peck my hand away.

Edited to add that she's the one in my avatar, and you can actually see the feathers start to come up on her head there too
gig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom