Do these two look safe?

TheYLWFlock

Crowing
Apr 18, 2018
Kelowna, BC
We’re getting two new 4 week olds from a local seller pretty soon and she sent us some pictures of the ones she thought might be pullets. We then looked through the five photos and chose the two that looked the most pulletish to us. Please keep in mind that they are mixed breeds because it’s just someone selling cheap (but healthy) chicks from their backyard flock. The types they have are Rhode Island Red, Ameraucana, Brahma, Barred Rock and Australorp. So, do we have a good chance at getting pullets out of these two?

I’m not sure what this one might be, possibly a backyard “created” Easter egger with out a muff? Like Ameraucana X something? Not totally sure. Anyways, thoughts?
A83CD2C0-FF5B-448C-8F22-34CDFB8DD685.jpeg

This one I’m thinking Barred Rock and Brahma because of the barring (messy and uneven, but barring nonetheless) and the feathered legs. How about this girl?
D4427087-39E6-490D-8C6D-ACF02C2AD850.jpeg

For reference, here are the other three that got their picture sent. I think that the first two are Brahma crosses based on their general appearance and the third is another homemade, muff-less Easter eager? Just for reference.

This one looks too cockerel for my liking at only 4 weeks old...
21325B13-F197-4703-8B83-7EF2F5458CC5.jpeg

The comb is a bit too pink for me for this little one.
F65CFDFB-2737-4615-ADAC-F10E8083EF56.jpeg

This one just had a tiny bit bigger comb than the other look alike one.
176EB5C1-9385-4833-A9F5-40613B39660C.jpeg

Help is highly appreciated!

I agree with the first two being the most promising. That last one with the heavy "eyeliner" could be a pretty good candidate too. I'm not sure what that ones comb looks like though. The only one I would for sure stay away from is the 3rd one! Super cute chicks! I love mixed breeds.

I agree with the first two being the most promising. That last one with the heavy "eyeliner" could be a pretty good candidate too. I'm not sure what that ones comb looks like though. The only one I would for sure stay away from is the 3rd one! Super cute chicks! I love mixed breeds.
Thank you! We have never had mixed breeds before, but we figured we’d go for it because they had a better chance at knowing the gender than tiny little chicks and they were so cheap! Also the pictures on the add were very pretty!

Thank you! We have never had mixed breeds before, but we figured we’d go for it because they had a better chance at knowing the gender than tiny little chicks and they were so cheap! Also the pictures on the add were very pretty!
All of my crosses are actually my most dependable egg layers.
Pure breeds tend to have a weak genetic make up by stretching and RE-BREEDING the same bloodline over and over again. Crossing genetic bloodlines strengthens the genetic make ups.
My cross birds even seem to lay earlier than over bred bloodlines.
Same with my pigs. We prefer X-breeding for stronger/faster growing and docile stock.

plus an added bonus- All your neighbors have the same ole cliche birds, but you will have snowflakes- no two are a like.
Bravo on your choice to buy local! Support your local farmer! Keep your money in your local economy.

All of my crosses are actually my most dependable egg layers.
Pure breeds tend to have a weak genetic make up by stretching and RE-BREEDING the same bloodline over and over again. Crossing genetic bloodlines strengthens the genetic make ups.
My cross birds even seem to lay earlier than over bred bloodlines.
Same with my pigs. We prefer X-breeding for stronger/faster growing and docile stock.

plus an added bonus- All your neighbors have the same ole cliche birds, but you will have snowflakes- no two are a like.
Bravo on your choice to buy local! Support your local farmer! Keep your money in your local economy.
Great to hear that we’ll be getting some nice strong birds!

We are already the weirdos in the neighborhood who have chickens... we are pretty unique either way! The only other people with chickens have some red coloured sexlinks I think. Not sure...
But it’s good to support a local farmer, I agree!

Back
Top Bottom