Do they look like Blackrock chicks?

Lalegid

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
I've hatched some chicks that were sold as "Blackrock eggs", do they look like the real thing? Also, how do I tell the sex? 5/6 have some form of white spot on their head, and I thought that indicated male.... did I get 5 roosters and 1 hen from 12 eggs? (Bit of a bad hatch :( ) Lol!

To me, those chicks look more like Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, though I'm not completely sure, as they should all have head spots if that was the case. If they are Barred Rocks, it's too young to determine gender. You'll have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old to begin guessing.

Another possiblity is that they are Black Sex-Links. This could explain why some have head spots and some don't. The males have the head spots, and the females are all black.

Where did you get the eggs? If they were just from a hobby breeder or backyard farmer, it is entirely possible that they are mixes.

To me, those chicks look more like Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, though I'm not completely sure, as they should all have head spots if that was the case. If they are Barred Rocks, it's too young to determine gender. You'll have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old to begin guessing.

Another possiblity is that they are Black Sex-Links. This could explain why some have head spots and some don't. The males have the head spots, and the females are all black.

Where did you get the eggs? If they were just from a hobby breeder or backyard farmer, it is entirely possible that they are mixes.
x2 on this.

Are you from the UK? Black Rock is a common label under which some UK hatcheries market their Black Sex Links. If that's what these are, then the ones with the white spots on the tops of the heads are males, and those with the solid black heads are females.

I'm in NZ, not sure if this link will work but this is where I got them: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=813188546

Yes, they are Black Sex Links. Male chicks have the white spot on top of the head; female chicks have solid black heads. They are sometimes sold under the label Black Star in the USA, and they are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from your pullets.

Thank you for your help! Egg-layers is what I'm after so sounds pretty good to me :D

X3

Back
Top Bottom