Do they look ready to eat?!

Quote:
I am going to try and be as nice and blunt as possible.

1) I'll ask the question also... Why are you looking in the meat section if you are a vegetarian.

2)I don't like the fact that we are being called (in a sense) inhumane. That's what it sounds like you are trying to say but can't.

3) I want to provide my family with good food. I don't want to feed them chicken that has been injected with all types of "who knows whats" and that has enough sodium to kill a mule.

4) I like the fact that we can raise and eat our own meat and VEGGIES and not have to rely on someone else to do so.

5) and most important of all Cause we can

And another quesstion. How often do you walk by the meat section in your local grocery store and chew out the meat man because he's grounding up hamburger?

Quote:
Fairly simply actually. We as humans are omnivores by evolution. So, simply put, we need a high-protein portion of our diets. Meat affords us exactly that. So, that takes care of part 1.

Part 2;- but you raised them from chicks: Well, yes, they did (and so will I next spring). They also gave them a chance at ranging freely in more than 1/2 sq.ft. of space. They provided shelter and food for them to enjoy every moment of the chicken's lives. However, in the end, the chicken's purpose is to feed the human. Better home grown, in decent conditions than store bought, antibiotic-fed, malformed and abused unlucky chickens.

Part 3;- to die naturally: they could let them live out their full lives, which for meat chickens from what I read is roughly 1.5 to 2 years. But then the chicken would serve no purpose and it's life would have been a waste. In case of roosters, they do not produce eggs, eat a fair share of feed and at that size aren't very swift to provide good protection to the flock. The ladies on the other hand (from what I heard) lay eggs at a much lower pace, and again, eat their weight in gold.

I can sympathize with the 'do not eat anything with eyes' point of view, however, simply by nature, most humans are omnivores and it means eating meat. It's better that we have a healthy connection with our food supply, therefore improving it, rather than sweeping the topic of animal cruelty in mass production farm houses under the rug and pretending that boneless skinless chicken breast in the grocery store came from a magical chicken bush.

But back to the topic.... The farm from where I buy my meaties (already processed) would wait another 4 weeks. They do look tasty though!

77horses: Although you have the right to your own opinion, the OP was asking if their meat birds looked ready to butcher, not asking about the ethical aspects of meat eating or raising your own meat. If you have nothing relevant to say regarding the question asked, sometimes it is best to hold your tongue. Just some friendly advice
smile.png

Quote:
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them almost entirely out of meat.

Jaku, that reminded me of this t-shirt I saw:

view3.jpg

(Get yours from the designer.)

I guess we can all now agree. Under one t-shirt all views are respected
wink.png

Tom

77 ,, ya REALLY should be ashamed of yaself,, after ALL the support given to you through your last hatching, all the HELP from meat eaters, after all the support from us meat eaters after the hatch went bad,,,, you go around the forum to FIND something to start ,, i know your young, and not as mature as some of us,, but 1 of the FIRST things your parents should have taught you was RESPECT.

O.K. this thread has been hijacked long enough. Let's please get it back on topic.

So my question is...... momofchicks~~have you thought anymore of if you are going to process the birds on the 27th or are you going to wait a little longer?

I have thought, for myself, that I may wait until 8 or 9 weeks to butcher. I guess it all depends on the weight at 7 week though.

they really pack on the weight the last few weeks. patience, grasshopper!
big_smile.png

it amazed me the difference that two weeks made. (especially with the cockerels! holy cats!)

Back
Top Bottom