1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do they need food and water at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabigbird, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    My brooder is set up on our back porch, protected from wind, and I have a red brooder light which gives warmth, but its' still cold at night.
    It gets down to 9-11ish C. ( don't know what that is in Fahrenheit )
    I'm thinking I might need to bring them in at night and put them in the bathtub in a cardboard box.
    My question is do I need to bring in their waterer and food too?
    If they were with a mama hen wouldn't they stay under her all night?
    Normally chickens don't move around in the dark.
    If I move their brooder light into the bathtub too to increase the temp would that make them more active and therefore need food and water?
    I can move everything back and forth but if I don't have to it would be easier.
    I pick them up tomorrow morning so could use advice A.S.A.P.

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    That's about 48-52 degrees Fahrenheit (with a little rounding). That's pretty chilly for the youngest ones and I think most here would probably bring them in until they are fully feathered. Without a light, they would pretty much sleep all night, but with a heat lamp, they will be up sporadically throughout the night. If you don't have food and water in there at night, they will live, but they will probably put up a fuss and get noisy about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by