Do you all keep a pair of 'coop only shoes'?

Do you keep a pair of 'coop only' shoes?

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I was just wondering if anyone else keeps a pair of chicken run or chicken yard only shoes! These are shoes that will only ever enter the chicken area, never anywhere else. Other people I know who keep chickens think i'm too serious and find it odd that I won't let anyone enter the chicken yard who also have a flock. However, these are the same people who buy chickens from anyone and anywhere who never quarantine new arrivals either so I don't care what they say lol. I stand by my decision to have coop only shoes as I have never had to deal with any type of respiratory illness or any other contagious illnesses in my flock and I attribute that to taking these bio-security measures with my flock! Anyways, if you also keep coop only shoes let me know!

Last edited:
I never keep shoes, gloves, etc. outside because I once put my hand into a garden glove that was stored on a shelf outdoors with the tools and found a wasp setting up house in one of the fingers. :eek:
I had the same thing happen only it was a giant spider. I put my hand in the glove, felt the squish and pulled my hand out to see a nice fat gooey spider on my finger🤮 Never will I ever keep anything I wear outside again!

Mine was a shrew in the toe of my rubber boot-- felt like a ball of fuzz when I put my foot in, but when I dumped it out, it ran off. (Or it might have been a mouse; it was many years ago, and I've never been very good at telling them apart, especially when they are moving fast.) That boot was in the garage, not actually outside, but the garage was clearly not rodent-proof.

Even since, I am prone to dumping my rubber boots before putting them on. I've found plenty of pieces of hay or leaves or other stuff over the years, which has convinced me that dumping my boots is a good idea anyway.

The boys wear cheap knockoff crocs, but I have a nice pair of chicken clogs from TSC
View attachment 3234410
Once the snow comes, we will probably get cheap boots for the same purpose.
I just purchased a pair of the red chicken ankle boots from sloggers as new coop only shoes. They are on sale for $15 on the sloggers website! Also got a pair for my sister and mom for when they visit the chickens too.

Yes. We have a bucket of shoes by the back door (our coop is only about 10 feet to the side of the door). Each family member keeps a pair there, and every single time we enter the run we wear them. Nowhere else. It’s good biosecurity and it keeps us from getting chicken poo in the house since we take them off right at the door

The boys wear cheap knockoff crocs, but I have a nice pair of chicken clogs from TSC
1661357762211.jpeg

Once the snow comes, we will probably get cheap boots for the same purpose.

It’s good biosecurity and it keeps us from getting chicken poo in the house since we take them off right at the door

Yes, and for these reasons as well. :goodpost:

Also it's no fun getting chicken poo out from between your toes so I definitely don't go barefoot. 🤭

I *should*, but I can't currently afford another pair of muck boots and I have chickens housed in multiple places around the yard.

I wear my muck boots for all messy yard chores and in the chicken coop. They live on a boot tray just inside the door.

I never keep shoes, gloves, etc. outside because I once put my hand into a garden glove that was stored on a shelf outdoors with the tools and found a wasp setting up house in one of the fingers. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom