Do you deliberately scare your chicks?

I'm not sure it really "damages" them. Immediately after I wake them up they'll jump right into my hand. They are so used to people. I think it's kinda like having the TV/radio on while a baby is sleeping to get them used to background noise.

Just look at them!
tongue.png

28521_011.jpg

Quote:
My DH has taught me to do that if I hear a sneeze.
thumbsup.gif

Scaring my very large birds in this oppressive heat is like playing russian roulette. It'll all be fun and games until one keels over from a heart attack. I've lost one from a heart attack last year, don't want a repeat.

Same goes for my baby birds. I'm working hard on keeping these meat birds (and my layer chicks) alive in the heat, not scare them to death.

I agree with chickensioux, mean. Cats (especially lazy, mean as a snake cats that live in the A/C) are a different story.

Quote:
My DH has taught me to do that if I hear a sneeze.
thumbsup.gif

Scaring my very large birds in this oppressive heat is like playing russian roulette. It'll all be fun and games until one keels over from a heart attack. I've lost one from a heart attack last year, don't want a repeat.

Same goes for my baby birds. I'm working hard on keeping these meat birds (and my layer chicks) alive in the heat, not scare them to death.

I agree with chickensioux, mean. Cats (especially lazy, mean as a snake cats that live in the A/C) are a different story.

Yup..mean..

My problem is that everyone said it would be no problem to put my day old chicks in with my day old keets. Well.. They get along fine, but the keets are SO scared by everything they rampage over the poor chicks everytime I peek in the brooder.. THE SKY IS FALLING HELP HELP HELP!

Quote:
Doesn't seem like you have true concern for an animal if you are constantly scaring it, I mean, how would you like some big monster come up and scare you while you are peacefully napping, not cool!

Quote:
Doesn't seem like you have true concern for an animal if you are constantly scaring it, I mean, how would you like some big monster come up and scare you while you are peacefully napping, not cool!

Maybe I shouldn't have said "scare"- but rather "wake them up"? As I said before- my birds grow up to be really people-friendly and laid back.

When I go up to my juvies and say "Hi babies!!!!" they all come running, and follow me everywhere. Even when they have a full feeder. If I put my hand in their pen and they are all jumping onto my arm.

Giving a chicken a bath and bleaching them for a show and keeping them in a little cage all day- NOW THAT IS MEAN!

Here's my two cents... and this goes for all animals, humans included. If creatures are raised and live in a vacuum without anything to get their hearts beating a bit, when something scary DOES happen, they are more likely to overreact and become sick or dead. However, if a little excitement is the norm, if life brings surprises on a somewhat frequent basis, they get past the little stuff and are stronger for it. If you were holding them upside down and shaking them to check if they were alive, THAT would be mean. But as they are being raised in a pretty sterile environment (in comparison to what they would experience say 50 years ago on the farm), I think you are doing them a favor... AND yourself. Personally, looking at your picture - especially the one with her legs STRAIGHT OUT- I would wake em up too!

Back
Top Bottom