do you eat chicken? just curious....

zumachicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
i'm beginning to get a bit squeemish about eating chicken.. i DO NOT eat MY chickens, but i DO eat the kind that is magically wrapped in the grocery store...but now, i'm feeling a bit weird...i mean, i see my girls everyday and talk to them and hold them and pet them...they each have a different personality, then i go inside and make chicken salad sandwiches...it just don't seem right...just curious....

We raise Cornish X specifically for meat. None have names and that is their purpose so we don't get attached.

We also eat the extra roos we have.

I've got no problems killing my own food...
lol.png

I don't eat my babies, but I do eat grocery store meat.
I know that if I ever tried to hug any of the nasty chickens that they use for that kind of meat, I'd get a good peck in the eye.
wink.png

i eat chicken . Around here i can get chicken breast .99$ a pound and i have to feed my family somehow. My general opinion is "treat them well like you would a pet but when its time for them to become food its their time" one side note i grew up on a farm and eating animals i knew was a part of life.

Quote:
Actually... those birds are quite docile and compliant. There are a few folk on this board that have rescued the ones that fell off of trucks on their way to the processing plant.
smile.png

Not my own; they're pets but I don't have problems with anyone who does. I buy chicken once in a while but try to get the organic kind. Our grocery store has a brand that is supposed to be. Truth is though, I'm not crazy about chicken meat! Or any poultry for that matter. Thanksgiving is all about the carbs for me.
roll.png

I raised comercial broilers for 10 years when married to my first husband. The birds were very docile and easy to get along with.
I have a small flock of dual purpose birds now that we use for both eggs and meat. I also am in the process of hatching off 6 turkey poults for the same purpose.
I have my special chickens who I only hatch babies from and sell eggs though
smile.png

I don't eat much chicken. I does make me feel a little weird. I tell myself that even my sweet chickens would eat the chicken. I am extremely picky about any meat I consume. I live off the Hwy between the poultry CAFOs and the processing plant. I see truckloads of half dead, malnourished, abused chickens drive by daily. I will not eat CAFO meat, be it chicken or otherwise! I buy all my meat from a nice family farm down the road. Their animals all live under the sun with proper nutrition, health care, and the respect deserved by an animal who will shortly be giving its life to feed a human.

Back
Top Bottom