Do you feed Purina ONE Lamb and Rice?

BARF isn't the only other option out there, I think people on this thread were saying how they used to feed raw ect., but now feed a premium, grain-free dog food-Taste of the Wild.
I've mentioned this before, dog nutrition in a way is like people. We need to know whats good for us to eat and a lot of people don't, and that is a leading concern with obesity these days.
I wouldn't allow any company tell me that they know more about dog nutrition when they are only interested in money. If it's something a person wants to do, they will search it out and teach themselves. I did, and several people on here did.
Like the OP who is now searching and is looking for a solution, is going out and learning about it. kudos to you.
smile.png

After looking at the ratings chart that was posted on the first page, I bought a bag of TOTW yesterday for my GSD. Mixed it with her Purina One and I think she was impressed. Anyway the info on here has been great. Mattie the GSD thanks you.

I feed three things... Dogswell Organic , Tractor Supply Brand Adult and TOTW High Prairie . I have 7 dogs and everyone eats something different. I thought TOTW was too expensive but I feed so much less that once these bags are near gone I will start buying 4 bags of that a month vs buying upwards of 10 other bags.

I think a big issue that hasnt been addressed is that yes, I know many people who feed Ol Roy, or Purina Dog Chow or Beneful, and they say their dogs love it, they eat it, and are doing just fine. That may be so, but I think its much more important what these cheeper foods do to the longevity of dogs.

I have been struggling with Dobermans and dog food for 25 years...a lot of the cheaper dog foods are just junk...fillers, grains, stuff that is enough to gag a maggot...many of the foods are sprayed with a fat prior to bagging to make the dogs dive in and seem to relish it...it is like feeding your kid chips and candy instead of fruits and veggies...it is junk food...and then there is the pervasive and often sneaky use of ethoxyquin as a preservative...that is a carcinogen...if it is in the fish or whatever before it gets to the processing plant where the dog food is made, they don't have to list it on the label...I am averaging 10 to 14 years on my Dobermans and many others are getting 6 to 8...my current crew will out live me because I spend the money to feed them well and I eat peanut butter sandwhiches and thank God for duck eggs...I guess I could be called a dog food snob by some...I just want the best for mine that I can possibly procure...

After doing a lot of research and educating myself on ingredients, I chose Eagle pack and Blue buffalo to mix together. I have a red doberman that I could not keep a coat on. After starting this food, she has a full coat and looks great:)

red Dobermans are harder to keep coat than the blacks...and just forget about the blues...they are very difficult to maintain coat...it is a recessive gene and they often end up with alopecia which is infected hair follicles and they are bald for the most part...fawns are a bit better...I only have reds and blacks...never dipped in to the dilutes...at the moment I have four reds and two blacks all of them looking like a shiney new penny...one of the reds is a rescue who came in in deplorable condition...a bath, vaccinations, worming, a nail job and good food has him on the road to recovery...he gained 7 lbs in two weeks and all of his dandruff is gone...his hip bones and vertebra are covering up...that TOW is really good stuff...

Quote:
Pogo, poodle, is still going strong at 12. Those are the two oldest dogs, the others are around 3 years old and 8 years old.

Past dogs:
Thunder-Lab-14
Echo-Lab/Shepherd mix: 14
Pepper-poodle-16
Great Dane-10, had to be put down due to hip dysplasia.
Citra-Labrador-11, died of heartworms. She was too old to undergo treatment so we opted for euthanasia when she was too sick to enjoy life.

These are most of the dogs of the dogs we've owned and have fed with Ole Roy and the cheaper brands of dog food. The dogs listed are the ones that I was alive to enjoy.

Theres a lot of people who feed the cheaper foods; otherwise they couldnt stay in business. If you dogs are doing fine on it, and you're happy with it, thats fine. However, it is fully documented the people who have had issues with their dogs feeding cheaper food, and how their health issues cleared up with higher quality food, thus enhancing their lives, and probably longevity. Its simply a personal choice.

My hound gets sick from cheaper dog foods, and I switched her to Diamond last year. No more problems!

But I do agree with letting your dog eat what it likes to eat and what it does well on. My mom's last dog wouldn't eat anything but Kibbles and Bits.

Back
Top Bottom