Do you have a chicken with an inpackted crop, read this

Goddess hen 763

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
Sometimes chickens can get a huge crop, just from eating to much at ounce and their body can’t process it fast enough. If you didn’t know a crop is like the neck of the chicken. When chickens eat food the food gets stored in that. Then when the chicken has room, the crop pushes some food down into the digestive system. Anyway, this impacted crop is called pendulous crop. The way to fix pendulous crap is to mix olive oil with water, put it into their mouth where they have to swallow it immediately. The mixture will go into their crop. Massage his/her crop for like four minutes then hold the chicken upside down and push the chickens crop for 5 seconds at at time so that she throws up her food. After this, do it several time more until her crop is no longer large. If it happens several times more with the same chicken, either she will be a cull or might just need to go on a diet. This illness might look severe but it’s really not, it’s quite common and good to know. So if your chicken gets pendulous crap don’t immediately cull them.

Sometimes chickens can get a huge crop, just from eating to much at ounce and their body can’t process it fast enough. If you didn’t know a crop is like the neck of the chicken. When chickens eat food the food gets stored in that. Then when the chicken has room, the crop pushes some food down into the digestive system. Anyway, this impacted crop is called pendulous crop. The way to fix pendulous crap is to mix olive oil with water, put it into their mouth where they have to swallow it immediately. The mixture will go into their crop. Massage his/her crop for like four minutes then hold the chicken upside down and push the chickens crop for 5 seconds at at time so that she throws up her food. After this, do it several time more until her crop is no longer large. If it happens several times more with the same chicken, either she will be a cull or might just need to go on a diet. This illness might look severe but it’s really not, it’s quite common and good to know. So if your chicken gets pendulous crap don’t immediately cull them.
My hen died yesterday. She had crop problems for 2-3 months, off and on. Everytime she went down, I give her oil and water, ACV, massages...every time but this last time she recovered like new. Three days ago she went down. Brought her in and did the usual routine. This time, she wouldn't eat anything at all. Just drank. Didn't even touch the carrots shreds or tomato that she loved so much. Her crop was full and soft, massaged it and turned her upside down. Alot of water (more than ever before) came out. I figured this was the last time. I prayed that if she wasn't meant to survive, let her suffering end. Checked on her a little later, she was down and dying. I held her and then she was gone.
I am heartbroken. I think I did everything I could to save her, didn't I?
This is my first time raising chickens, bought 6. My rooster was murdered by my neighbors dog last Christmas Eve and now Glorya had died.
Heavy sigh.

My hen died yesterday. She had crop problems for 2-3 months, off and on. Everytime she went down, I give her oil and water, ACV, massages...every time but this last time she recovered like new. Three days ago she went down. Brought her in and did the usual routine. This time, she wouldn't eat anything at all. Just drank. Didn't even touch the carrots shreds or tomato that she loved so much. Her crop was full and soft, massaged it and turned her upside down. Alot of water (more than ever before) came out. I figured this was the last time. I prayed that if she wasn't meant to survive, let her suffering end. Checked on her a little later, she was down and dying. I held her and then she was gone.
I am heartbroken. I think I did everything I could to save her, didn't I?
This is my first time raising chickens, bought 6. My rooster was murdered by my neighbors dog last Christmas Eve and now Glorya had died.
Heavy sigh.

I’m so sorry about your baby hen Gloria. I know chickens are really cool animals to have, I know how you feel I had a chicken one time named lavender. she was very dumb and kept getting attacked By other chickens. She was very sick/autistic for some time. Then she got extremely sick and my dad had to kill her. Really, I am so sorry. I know what your going through. I think your chicken just didn’t have the body to process all that food. Bigger numbers are better with chickens, don’t let them go free range, build a fence around their coop, and surround the coop with thorns and put a huge trap out for coyotes, dogs, ETC. don’t give up.

I thought making a chicken vomit could be dangerous and could cause them to aspirate (inhale the vomit). Mind if I ask some others about this?

@aart
@Eggcessive

What do you guys recommend for impacted crop? @aart, don't you have an article on this topic?

Vomiting Is dangerous for chickens. That is why you really have to massage the crap before you make them. They might choke on large food, if they do flip them back up and help them push it back down.

I would not vomit a chicken since it can cause aspiration or choking. The two articles that aart posted are very good. Many people treat crop disorders differently. The crop problems I have seen in chickens were in older birds, and usually were caused by some other primary problem, such as a reproductive infection, internal laying, or ascites which puts pressure on the abdominal organs making digestion difficult.

I have a young hen just over a year who has developed pendulous crop. I think it started when she went broody. Three of my Brahma hens refused to leave the nest boxes when its been closer to two months. I boot them out of the nest boxes in the evenings when I’m home and that’s when I realized this hen had this problem. I lifted her out of the nest box and liquid just came pouring out of her beak. Her chest just felt like a warm water balloon. I think her muscles have atrophied because of her time in the nest box. I think if I pen her up it might fix the problem but I hate to take her off feed she really rarely eats anyway 😕

Back
Top Bottom