Do you have a rooster

Do you have a rooster

• Total voters
I am down to one roo. I just rehomed my 3 other boys to a no kill rooster rescue at a goat farm. It was heartbreaking for me but at least they'll have a chance and I can visit them. I loved all of them so much especially my Rex 😭 My husband and I decided to keep a rooster that has a bond with a golden comet hatch mate. He's very protective of her. Our current roo is the black mystery chick from my earlier posts. He was the only odd ball from a group of golden comets hatched at a school then given to the farm where I got my RIRS. It would make sense that he'd be half white leghorn. From what I've read, he has similar personality traits and faster developing despite being younger than my RIRs. He doesn't mind us being around him but doesn't care to be held. Sometimes will nip if cornered. Always watching out for his girl. Hatched beginning of May.
PXL_20220627_233952368.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220628_002223801.jpg
PXL_20220626_172831980.PORTRAIT.jpg

What do you think @The Moonshiner

Last edited:
I have a few and hate most of them beside my blrw rooster and Mr Cheeks rest Only stay a year then process they go

My flock is about half roosters, so maybe 20 of them. I am fortunate that I can afford to feed and care for them. In 10 years I’ve only had 1 roo that tried to attack me and he was a silkie. I think the Roos are busy keeping themselves in line so they don’t worry about people. Neighbors bring their kids and grandkids over to see and hold the chickens, no worries over aggressive roosters. I also know how to behave around chickens. I suspect if more people would keep their roosters they would have less problems. My hens don’t need saddles either. Which is a really goo thing in this heat.

I am down to one roo. I just rehomed my 3 other boys to a no kill rooster rescue at a goat farm. It was heartbreaking for me but at least they'll have a chance and I can visit them. I loved all of them so much especially my Rex 😭 My husband and I decided to keep a rooster that has a bond with a golden comet hatch mate. He's very protective of her. Our current roo is the black mystery chick from my earlier posts. He was the only odd ball from a group of golden comets hatched at a school then given to the farm where I got my RIRS. It would make sense that he'd be half white leghorn. From what I've read, he has similar personality traits and faster developing despite being younger than my RIRs. He doesn't mind us being around him but doesn't care to be held. Sometimes will nip if cornered. Always watching out for his girl. Hatched beginning of May.
View attachment 3173436View attachment 3173439View attachment 3173440
What do you think @The Moonshiner
He's beautiful!

I have... a few roosters. 😅

I think currently I have 16, if my mental roll call is accurate, not including the little ones in the brooder. Trying to rehome a few of those that I don't want or need around at the moment (and will try to rehome many of the ones in the brooder once they've grown out enough for me to pick the ones I want to keep back for breeding), so I'll probably end the year at around 16 boys as well, maybe a couple more. I'm a sucker for a gentle, handsome rooster, so we'll see where the number actually ends up. 🤭

Hey, I'm down to 14 now! Managed to find someone who wanted my two big Orpington boys a few days ago, so they're gone now. 😁

So now I just have
2 Silkies
6 Old English Game bantams
4 silkied Cochin bantams
1 Silkie x Cochin bantam mix
1 Marans
And at least 7 future roosters in the brooder at the moment, plus 4 or 5 more that are questionable

Back
Top Bottom