Do you have coop spring cleaning plans?

NHchicks

Songster
May 13, 2010
New Hampshire
Back when I got my first chicks from the feed store, the man there told me to clean the coop out every spring - take all the shavings out and spray it all down with bleach. I didn't do that last spring, the coop was only about one year old, but this spring I'm anxious to get it all cleaned out and disinfected to try to protect from mites.

Anyone else have coop cleaning plans?

I use the deep litter system and clean coops twice a year. If this winter ever gives up, the wheel barrow is all set to go.
lol.png

Well I don't bleach things down. I do wash my dropping board and roosts off about once a month (just dishwashing liquid/water). I don't use deep litter method, but I do replace bedding, dust, wipe down walls, etc. in the spring (and late fall). My spring cleaning will probably be mid March...as soons as the weather is consistantly warmer. I'm looking forward to it
smile.png

For coop bedding I use a ground corn cob base covered with wood pellets (horse bedding). I would use 100% ground corn cob, but it has become so darn expensive. I remove bedding, scrape down roosts and nest boxes, sweep floor and add new bedding. I do not disinfect unless I have a disease problem.

I could be wrong, but I don't think bleach is going to get rid of mites. Bacteria, yes.

I have sand in my coop, so I scoop poop every evening, and in the morning I empty out the droppings trays. The only spring cleaning I plan to do is spend a couple minutes dusting off surfaces inside the coop.

OH I cant wait until spring!! I use the deep litter method and it works well. I have added pine shavings during the winter as things get pulverized into powder on the bottom. I have a little kids rake in the coop and stir the litter every day. My coop was new last sept. but I have some major dust. Im going to take the shop vac out there and have at it. I also use trays under the roost that are filled with corn cob litter. It has lasted great all winter, I scoop it like a cat box and add as needed. I bought 1 bag and I am really happy with it. It is expensive so I wouldnt use it on the floor but very nice in the roost trays. I dont worry if the girls take a taste now and then like I would with regular clay cat litter. So my spring cleaning will be a good vacuuming, replace the pine shavings and get some new corn litter. I think the corn litter will make good garden compost!

Sure do
smile.png
Just waiting for the weather to stay consistently warmer. Its been in the 50s-60s since the weekend, but with all the snow melting its a big muddy mess and my compost pile is still covered in a big snow drift. As soon as that's melted and the ground hardens, I'll be in business doing spring cleaning. I take out all the old bedding, put down a bit of sevin dust, then put down landscaping wood chips. I buy undyed ones and they last a lot longer than shavings and are not too expensive. I wait til they go on sale and buy them all at once. I usually can pick'em up for around 2 to 2.50 a bag on sale.

I am ready! Got me some labor at the FFA labor auction...been tormenting the young men in class about them shoveling poop! I have a chair picked out, an umbrella, and will have plenty of Dews in the ice chest! Now if oly I can keep with that plan instead of working with them and then running for ice cream! I don't disinfect nothing...might kill some good mojo. I don't wipe anything down either or clean out poop daily. My floors are nice and dry...now that I added sand to correct a little drainage issue
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom