Do you have experience with NR360? I have some questions

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
Thanks for clicking! I have a few questions and experiences I would like to share to see if I am experiencing normal variables.
Experiences:
I notice that when I go into lockdown and increase the humidity the temperature goes down and tends to stay down. I know there is a coefficient relationship with the RH and and RT but most sources I see online say that the temperature will overall stabilize back up but mine does not come back up to the same baseline. I notice this effect is worsened with the addition of gravel paper as well. With gravel paper and the machine set to 100.5f & reading 45% humidity, my secondary and tertiary measurements are reading 98.2f & 58%. Without gravel paper the machine will read 100.5 & 55%, my additional measurements will read 99f & 68%
Question(s):
Do other NR360 owners tend to experience this? if so, do you let it ride or raise the temp?
does yours fluctuate about 1 degree during the day and about 3% humidity rising and falling in opposing metronomes?
do you have any other quirks or experiences around the finer details to share or build on with what I have?
-
Edit to add: Just currently on day 17 with (26) jumbo egyptians and 14 are out of shell and 2 more with feathers poking out that I can see.
one has crooked but not bent up or down toes and I am trying to determine the cause.

The drop in temperature is normal for any incubator with a turner. When you take the turner out, the heat generated from it goes away, so you need to bump the incubator's temperature up to compensate for it. This is for any incubator with a turner, not just the NR360, though.

I don't have experience with that specific inubator.

The drop in temperature is normal for any incubator with a turner. When you take the turner out, the heat generated from it goes away, so you need to bump the incubator's temperature up to compensate for it. This is for any incubator with a turner, not just the NR360, though.

mind blown. I would not have even considered that factor at all

I'm not sure that your statement about temperature drop caused by removing the turner makes sense. During incubation with the turner inside, the thermostat on the incubator should compensate for the heat caused by the turner's motor by not running the main heater as much. Remove that heat source and the thermostat should adjust for the loss of that heat and simply keep the incubator's heater running a bit longer.

Also, while the turner for the Little Giant incubator has a motor attached that is removed when I remove the turner, I have a Brinsea incubator that has the turner motor integrated with the incubator and isn't removed with the turner trays.

I'm not sure that your statement about temperature drop caused by removing the turner makes sense. During incubation with the turner inside, the thermostat on the incubator should compensate for the heat caused by the turner's motor by not running the main heater as much. Remove that heat source and the thermostat should adjust for the loss of that heat and simply keep the incubator's heater running a bit longer.

Also, while the turner for the Little Giant incubator has a motor attached that is removed when I remove the turner, I have a Brinsea incubator that has the turner motor integrated with the incubator and isn't removed with the turner trays.
That's been my experience with incubators that I've had with a turner motor inside. Yes, in theory, the incubator's thermostat should compensate. In my experience, I have to turn the temp up a bit on the incubator to actually get it to do so.

My Borotto also has a turner that is part of the incubator, but I unplug it when I take the trays out. The Borotto does compensate for the temperature or it doesn't affect the internal temperature because the motor is on the outside of the incubator.

Seems the true answer is even more simple and interesting!
The turner being removed lowers the height of the temp readings and it is just lower temp and higher humidity nearer to the water. Seems to get a temp readout that is accurate for the circumstances within an NR360 would likely require a lolipop style scientific thermometer. that would allow it to gather readings more in line with the top of the eggs where the development is occurring

Seems the true answer is even more simple and interesting!
The turner being removed lowers the height of the temp readings and it is just lower temp and higher humidity nearer to the water. Seems to get a temp readout that is accurate for the circumstances within an NR360 would likely require a lolipop style scientific thermometer. that would allow it to gather readings more in line with the top of the eggs where the development is occurring
I tested this by having the turner in but not on and then removing it. I allowed it to stabilize for 3 hours each time. It also showed that without the turner being on there are fewer fluctuations. Leading me to conclude its related to slight hot and cold spots where the measuring device traveled through on the spin turner.

You could wrap a thick towel or small blanket around the incubator to help it hold it's heat better too. I have a borotto which hasn't seen many fluctuations but the motor is on the outside so that's probbably why.

You could wrap a thick towel or small blanket around the incubator to help it hold it's heat better too. I have a borotto which hasn't seen many fluctuations but the motor is on the outside so that's probbably why.
The motor being on the outside might remove a degree of variables but i am pretty sure that it's related to the fact that it does not spin and the temperature measuring device stays stationary. in the nr360 my device sits on the spin tray and rotates 360 despite putting it dead center.

I keep the incubator in an insulated box tented with a survival blanket. I also run it dry so I basically ignore the thing for 2 weeks and it still fluctuates a bit. At first I thought it was just the times of day but now I think its times of day + spot in incubator.

Back
Top Bottom