Do you have TV service?

Can't get cable where I live, as they won't run the lines across the railroad tracks for the 5 houses that are down here.

We had Directv for a while, but got rid of that when I was paying $80/month for it to always be on the Disney channel.

Now we have the 3 disc at a time Netflix package and a blu-ray player to watch streaming Netflix on and only pay $25 a month. Most of the stuff that is on the D.C. is on Netflix for the kids to watch and hubby and I can watch exactly what we want, when we want.

I DO NOT miss TV one bit. I have actually been commended by my kids teachers for us not having cable for them to watch, though most people look at my like I have two heads when I tell them we don't have it.

No cable here but like many others, we are just getting into Netflix. I do usually fall asleep the second a movie is on, but DH loves it.

Quote:
we are doing the same as you, cancelled satellite about 6 yrs ago. It started my 2nd grader reading, now its one of his favorite activities. Plus, its much more peaceful here. I hated the intrusion of asinine commercials into my home!

We don't have any TV service - as a matter of fact, we donated the TV, and occasionally (very occasionally) watch a movie on the laptop. We've thought about Netflix, but aren't sure if our ISP is reliable enough.

Come to think of it, we met online, and our main mutual attraction was that neither of us watched TV!

Last edited:
Wow--I thought we were the only folks in the country who didn't have cable/satellite,etc.....
We've been in our house for 19 years...no cable out here (we're only 4 miles from town, not out in the middle of nowhere) but we do have a couple different dish possibilities, just never signed on the line...about 4 years ago my dh bought a real antenna (we'd had two hand-me-downs, in our attic...don't think they ever worked), strapped it to the house and cannot believe how great our reception is. We get about 13 channels and they come in better than friends and family in town get with Time Warner cable. My son would dearly love espn, but for some reason, we are sort of 'proud' of doing without for 20 years (never had it in our apartment prior to the house)...have a heck of a dvd collection. It's nice raising the kids and not ever having to worry about them seeing stuff they shouldn't--everything before 9pm is pretty 'safe.' We keep saying, maybe someday...so maybe....someday.
PS: And as previous posters mentioned, we'd be a lot more tempted if it was 'a la carte,' where we could pick and choose the specific channels we wanted, like HG TV, Animal Planet, ESPN, and not have all that other garbage forced on us.

Quote:
Nah, but that's what the kids would have you believe.

Now tell me if you think this is true -- I don't often get to watch cable shows, but when I do this is what it often seems like to me -- although it's great to have a jillion different channels devoted to specialty topics, it seems that the show producers find themselves with a LOT of time to fill. And I find that a lot of the shows are terribly slow-paced, that they go into far too much detail, that they don't edit out enough of the drivel. Which then turns out to be such a waste of time for the viewer. And there also seems to be too many shows giving attention to topics and situations better left out of the spotlight.

Perhaps this is the reason why folks sit in front of the TV with the channel-changer, flipping through the entire list when things get too dull on one channel. The rare times I see cable TV is in the waiting room of a doctor's office and there I'm stuck watching whatever the receptionist chose.

I'm addicted to Science Fiction, gotta have it. After all, my life would of read like a Science Fiction story written 50 years ago. Do any of you know how common place Science Fiction stories are today----in the sixties when Star Trek first came out and they showed automatic doors opening when you approached them, people laughed cause it was impossible. In the 30's there was a movie that showed fleets of planes dropping bombs on cities, people laughed cause it was impossible---then came WWII. We are rapidly approaching the " Technological Singularity". (All hail our robot masters) (Here comes the Gray Goo) (where did I park my flying car?) (No problem, my 3D nanotech printer will make another one)

We disconnected DTV in January, and honestly we have not missed it, we were paying 80.00 to watch a few channels that of course required the upgraded package so we said forget it. The biggest surprise has been the kids reaction (who use to be glued to the set if we let them) they have not complained once, never ask for the tv, etc. It's been great! I do pull up a few of my favorite shows and watch them on Hulu for free now
big_smile.png
And on that note I called Qwest and downgraded as much off my bill as possible and got a cheaper but faster quality internet service and shaved 70.00 off my bill with them also! Tired of throwing money away around here.

Sorry folks I have everything--both antenna and DishNet, although until they went to HD our antenna reception was only one channel--and Netflix streaming. I go back to C-band--still have the dish up. I'm a big college sports fan so need my ESPN fix and the satellite is the only way I can get it. I just upgraded my DishNet to HD with a DVR receiver that has WiFi capabilities. We just don't subscribe to the premium channels and special sports' packages but get everything else. I wouldn't be without it and am one that multi-tasks--read and watch TV at the same time. (Not to mention using the computer with a basketball game on which I am doing now.) I've been know to go PIP and watch two basketball games at one time. This is my source of entertainment and I wouldn't be without it.

Back
Top Bottom