Do you host Thanksgiving?

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
Howmany of you host your own Thanksgiving VS. going to other places? How many cook Vs picking something up? Also what age range are you in 20-30 or 30-40 or 40-50 or over 50?

Last edited:
We'll be going to my brother's this year (as we have many years in the past)... we usually bring the candied yams and some rolls and green salad.

BUT, I miss having leftovers when we do that. My wife doesn't miss the mess.

Me and the wife are in our 30's. We usually cook for 8 kids ranging from 2-19. This year mom and dad wanted a big get together since my Sister and Step sister and respective families are stopping out. (All live out of state) So we'll be cooking a few dishes.. green bean casserole, corn bread casserole and fresh breads.

Our family does. I don't even know if I will be home for thanksgiving this year. The footlocker race is in Winsconsin the day AFTER thanksgiving so I might be leaving on thanksgiving.
hmm.png

Yes my wife and I host Thanksgiving. My wife cooks most everything. Maybe a dessert dish will be brought by guest. I am in charge of crowd control, parking, and clean up detail.

We have had as many as 25 or as few as 10. My wife told me we are expecting 12 this year.

I am not allowed to say how old my wife is, I am forty-eleven.

We have been hosting for 20+ years.

DH and I host our family's Thanksgiving, though I broadly hint throughout the year that we'd love to travel to one of their places. Either they are lazy and recognize a good thing and don't want it disturbed or they are shamelessly hooked on tradition:) We provide the Turkey, dressing, breads, and little extras. Finally, they are beginning to bring dishes to share: one daughter does pies, another casseroles, and so on. We love it, but I'll admit to exhaustion before we ever sit down to dinner. I laughed at the thread question, dividing age groups up by decades until 50, and then lumping all the 50+ together. Do you think we who are 50+ don't keep chickens and therefore are not on the forum or have little input into holiday dinners? Well, just wait till you get here:) My comments are in light humor, by the way...Happy Holidays to all! ~G

We're moving houses that weekend, but no we've never hosted. Neither my mother or grandmother will give up thanksgiving or christmas, and then they complain for weeks about the "hassle", but when you offer to do it, it's oh no, don't want to bother you.

I'd rather stay home with a cup of noodles. About the week before we do "practice thanksgiving" where we pull out all the same dishes and do it small for about 6 people, it's perfect.

Add I think the "50+" was more along the lines of people like me, who would host, but grandma/mom won't give it up..., usually if you're over 50, you're the matriarch.

Last edited:
We , me, my sis, brother, & mom and dad, usually skip around year from year as to who get to host the dinners.....well this year my Mom and Sis aren't talking and my brother is upset with my sis and mom and my sis and brother are having issues with each other so what I have dine is invited them all to my house on different days.

When my Sis and her family come there will be---- 9 people
When my brother and his family come there will be--- 10 people
When Mom and Dad comes there will be ---- 7 people

Found out today that my Nephew and his GF is coming up on Thanksgiving so thats -----2 people

Last edited:
Age 40-50

I have hosted Thanksgiving for approx the last 25 years(Missed hosting last year due to a funeral in the family, I did go visit PC that weekend so it wasn't without a TURKEY involved). I do all the cooking DW does the cleanup, Usually do Ham and Turkey have had anywhere from 10-50 depending on who shows up. When in Navy had lots of single guys that couldn't make it home for Turkey Day. Now I offer those at work that dont have family in the area to feel free to stop by. Visitors usually bring a desert, but it not required. Right now should have around 15 this year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom