• A few, not all

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
I currently have 26 chickens and some olive eggers and other mixes in the incubator (first attempt at hatching). 1 silkie roo, 8 hens (barred rocks, silver & gold laced wyandottes, americaunas), 5 pullets (RIR, Brahma, silkie, tetra tint, Wyandotte), 12 chicks (frizzle mix, americauna, blue silkies, welsummer, cuckoo maran)

I do not eat my chickens. They are my spoiled little pets who reward us with fresh free range eggs. My friends seem to think I have lost my mind when I consider them just as much a part of my family as one would a dog and give them all names (and yes, I know who they all are and which egg came from which chicken).

Curious to see what others out there are doing, do you name your chickens? Are they your pets?

~Prince, Daisy, Delilah, Roxy, Matilda, Georgia, Francine, Caroline, Henrietta, Betsey, Martha, Bernice, Darla, Lucille, Ferdinand, Marianne, Valentina, Louise, Clarabelle, Wilhelmina, Pearl, Violet, Daphne, Priscilla, Evelyn, & Barbara~

gamebirdsonly

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 5, 2007
UTAH
I name a hand full of them I have 100+ birds so only the ones I have had for awhile or that just stand out from the rest get a name.

roostersandhens

Flap Your Wings!
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Saving Battery Hens at Happy Hen Chicken Rescue in
My Coop
My Coop
I name mine and they are my pets! .
Same here! Mine are all named and are all pets. Not for laing, Meat or show.
big_smile.png

emrys

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Pullets are named. The ones headed to the freezer are, the black one, the red one....

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
If you would like to know the names of mine, I am happy to share. I like to think some of them are unique names :p. For me eggs are really just a bonus.

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Mine are therapy chickens. I love to sit and watch them scratch and peck around my yard looking for bugs and other yummy things to eat. I try to do this for at least an hour or two every evening. It is a great way to unwind. All ten of mine are named.

ShellLea

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Canton, Ohio
They are all "pretty girl" or "big boy" and that's as far as I go with something I am going to eat eventually. Now when the bantams get here that will probably change as those are more for fun than function.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom