Do you put your plants outside?

Do you place your house plants outside during summer months?

• Yes - they love it and thrive

• No - never, they are happy where they are

• Depends

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I mostly do herbs for cooking and I live U.P. North, so they do great all Summer, but when I move them inside for Winter they die within a week. I wish I had a way to save them because I love cutting fresh basil.
Have a partial answer. Rosemary is supposed to be a perennial in my temperature zone, but mine die every winter. I now grow a rosemary plant inside and it is 3+ years old and fairly small. Each spring, I cut off a couple of sprigs and root them and they grow much larger in the garden where they are happier.

Common basil is a perennial in the south, so you might try the same setup.

Generally most houseplants thrive in filtered light. But with a bird of paradise if you keep it outside, keep it in the shade it can handle morning light. If your plant ever flowers, the color will be a white.

We mostly keep ours inside. We have grow lights for them and some nice windows.

Last year we had a small pot lemon tree we put outside in the summer months. We also had a cactus that we placed out in the greenhouse and watered irregularly, whenever I remembered. It thrived!

I did put a spider plant under the grow lights with my garden starts earlier this spring. I forgot to bring them in one night and it got down to 40 or so. Most of the spider plant's leaves died, but it is sprouting new ones and growing a baby now so I guess it's okay.

Just remember many are sensitive to cold temps and not meant for rough winds and rains.

We mostly keep ours inside. We have grow lights for them and some nice windows.

Last year we had a small pot lemon tree we put outside in the summer months. We also had a cactus that we placed out in the greenhouse and watered irregularly, whenever I remembered. It thrived!

I did put a spider plant under the grow lights with my garden starts earlier this spring. I forgot to bring them in one night and it got down to 40 or so. Most of the spider plant's leaves died, but it is sprouting new ones and growing a baby now so I guess it's okay.

Just remember many are sensitive to cold temps and not meant for rough winds and rains.
I've decided to just keep all my house plants inside. They all seem happy where they are and my track record with plants is not good, so if they are all doing well I figure, why change that?

For now all my veggies are still inside, we are still having the periodic night of frost. I am looking forward to kicking them outside! This is my first year trying gardening so I'm learning a lot, mostly from making mistakes! lol

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice.

I've decided to just keep all my house plants inside. They all seem happy where they are and my track record with plants is not good, so if they are all doing well I figure, why change that?

For now all my veggies are still inside, we are still having the periodic night of frost. I am looking forward to kicking them outside! This is my first year trying gardening so I'm learning a lot, mostly from making mistakes! lol

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice.
You'll always make mistakes, no matter how long you've been gardening for. It's part of the fun! Just plant some more seeds, pull weeds, and enjoy!

Traditionally I don't do well keeping houseplants! But I have a couple of little aloe plants that I almost accidentally killed outdoors last year so now they live on my kitchen table and they seem quite happy there. Also just got a guzmania that will be living with the aloes. Gets way too hot here in the summer and VERY sunny and I think the poor thing would just fry. Gets plenty of sun from the kitchen window now.

Everything else either lives outside or in my fish tanks! Usually whatever I throw in the ground grows with no problem. Except lavender, can't get that to grow here.

Traditionally I don't do well keeping houseplants! But I have a couple of little aloe plants that I almost accidentally killed outdoors last year so now they live on my kitchen table and they seem quite happy there.
Same! My husband used to say I have black thumbs lol But I have been doing really well with mine since I started collecting in January! I've even propagated my tradescantia! I think the key to my newfound success is all the big beautiful windows we have in our new house.

My Aloe is super happy living on my kitchen counter. It grows like crazy!

@RebelEgger I'm sure my aloes would be even happier if my cat didn't keep knocking them over 9_9.
I didn't mention the 2nd aloe plant I had. Woke up one morning to find it completely mowed down. It was a young plant, I had brought it home from work, robbed it off the mother plant. Our cat Carson completely destroyed it. Gotta love the kitties... as much as they love the plants :rant

Back
Top Bottom