Do you recycle?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• When there's a bin handy

• Total voters
In Sonora CA, I recycled. It was so easy, they provided bins and once you got the hang of it, it became a habit. Plus, there's a charge on aluminum cans at the store of 5 cents. You redeem it (sort of) when you turn in your cans. Not a whole lot of money, but enough to fill my tank with gas on a good day.

In the county I live in now, in Idaho, they have seperate recyling bins at the dump. Thought it was great, until the attendant told me they dump ALL of it in the landfill anyway
he.gif

So, I recycle things I can, and when I do go to the landfill I'm a scavenger. Found a LARGE wood crate and turned it into a chicken coop
yippiechickie.gif
but you have to be careful, the dump police can stop you on the way out!

Quote:
They have this here too, it recently went from 5c to 10c to encourage more people to take can to the depot.
thumbsup.gif

JD: First time I've heard of someone recycling oil! That's neat.
big_smile.png

ray's two cents :

Quote:
They have this here too, it recently went from 5c to 10c to encourage more people to take can to the depot.
thumbsup.gif

big_smile.png

Only can do it legally with off-highway vehicles , tractors. Just need a centrifuge to spin the heavy part to the bottom then use the lighter stuff on top.​

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

big_smile.png

Only can do it legally with off-highway vehicles , tractors. Just need a centrifuge to spin the heavy part to the bottom then use the lighter stuff on top.

Wow, I would have NO clue how to do that.
lau.gif

The only thing I know about oil is something to do with fractional distillation.
roll.png
lol.png

I used to recycle in the last city I lived in. We had a trash can for recycles only and another one for trash. I use to have our own can for beer cans. Don't have room where we live now: but that should be changing next month. With room we will have a trash can for cans as well as get back to the recycling bin as well. We do put clothes in the donation bin, if that counts.

I live in the greater Austin area and my city has single-stream recycling which has made a dramatic difference for the quantity of how much I recycle.
Our trash gets picked up each week but recycling gets picked up every other week. We have two of the very large plastic rolley bins, green for trash and blue for recycle. Tomorrow is my trash day and I have two small bags of trash in the trash bin while my recycle bin will barely close because of the amount of stuff I have in it, I would estimate about 200 plus lbs. That is usually the norm for me honestly, I am the diligent recycler in my house, although my 7 year old is getting pretty good at it as well.
I love the single stream recycling because there is no sorting, all you have to do is put it in the big bin. They take 1-6 plastic, steel, aluminum, cardboard and chipboard....basically everything and I love it. I will even carry stuff home from work that I know will recycle so I can put it in my bin.....
Makes me think I am least doing something to help out.....

We try to keep our trash as empty as possible. We recycle everything we can and re-use as much as possible. We don't use paper towels at all any more. I can't remember the last time I bought any. We have camelbak bottles that we use for water when we go out. Any foodstuff gets composted. We have two recycle cans and one black "general" can. The recycle ones are always much more full than the black can. We probably only really need the black can picked up once a month or less.

I resolve to do better in 2012. We have three bins, one for landfill rubbish, which is the smallest, one for garden waste, and one for recycling. They get collected every other week and frankly, we have to go to the refuse site with bin bags of rubbish most weeks. I do put all the recyclables in the appropriate bin, but the landfill bin still fillls up very quickly. My son has taken 4 black sacks of rubbish to the refuse site today. My sister wonders how we generate so much rubbish. I really need to monitor what gets put into the landfill bin and see where all this waste is coming from?

I'm really bad
hide.gif

We have a regular homeless man that picks through our garbage for recycle materials, but our village does not require recycling, so we do not. I do it all at work though! I go crazy recycling here
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom