Do you spoil

I don't personally though my husband would disagree haha. Maybe they are a little spoiled-they get warm mash for breakfast because they prefer crumble and I hate to waste it. They have lots of fun things in their run like a special sand box for dirt baths, a ladder and extra roost, two feed and water stations, a tire and some stumps. I put concrete bricks on the ground so they can clean their beaks and I redecorate occasionally so they can dig up bugs. I also give them boonworms and BOSS a couple times a week.
I don't know what half this stuff is; but it sure made me smile.

I get funny looks and laughter in this ranching community when I consult the vet. I sprout grain for them and they are free range on at least an acre. They have a tub in the chickenhouse for dust bathing and a weekly change of pine shred bedding. Every day they get kitchen scraps and it is almost frightening when I come out and all 20 come racing at me. If they get too old they are transported asleep to some kind sisters who give them back in freezer bags.

I am beginning to think that I am the only one who spoils chickens like dogs and cats. Do you spoil you feather family if so what do you do? :frow
I love to spoil my chickens. They have a plastic ball with scratch grain in it, tied to a string that they bat with their beaks. My chickens and duck get cabbage, spinach, blueberries, strawberries when I don't have any from my garden, even when the prices are a little high. They get herbs from my raised bed, tomatoes (which they love), meal worms, and their regular grain. They also get scrambled eggs with a little cheese on Sundays. They get a water mist sprayed on them on hot days and have a kiddy pool. I love them sooooooooo much!

I am beginning to think that I am the only one who spoils chickens like dogs and cats. Do you spoil you feather family if so what do you do? :frow
Spoil them? No, never. Well maybe. I'm guilty. Just every chance I get. From cuddling those who'll let me to shopping trips just to find discounted vegetables, greens or fruits for them. My boyfriend is just as guilty because he's driving me there and often it's his idea. Sometimes I'll select one to carry around the yard when I'm doing other things. We had a visitor come by earlier today and I was walking around with one of my 9 week old ducklings. Another day I was carrying my Easter Egger rooster while I went over to talk with a neighbor. Every morning they get a treat (greens, veggies, fruits or scratch) and a smaller treat at bedtime. My chickens tend to be greedy and often push my ducks out of the way. Even my guineas expect their treats and holler at me in anticipation.

My newest hatchlings, all hatched by a Runner duck.
Easter Egger cockerel 5/26, he's in my bedroom in a brooder.
20220526_145245.jpg

I felt so bad for him being alone, I got this little girl as his companion. (given to my by a local feed store)
20220530_165823.jpg

These were hatched by the same Runner duck as the chick, between 6/2-6/4 - more to hatch.
20220604_133530.jpg
20220604_133604.jpg

Momma duck now has her own 8x4 coop area. I'm used to chickens hatching ducklings but not ducks sitting/hatching chicken eggs.

My coops (2 more behind large coop). Building in far back houses guineas and momma duck - on back side. Dog kennel to left, they're quick to alert to anything or anyone within 200ft of them and tell me when any of the flock escape or even squabble.
20220516_200422.jpg

This area is now my rooster pen, it's behind the main pen.
20220520_144734.jpg

Some people think I'm spoiling them using umbrellas but they provide shade and protection from overhead predators. My pens total about 4500sqft, too big to cover, so I found using the umbrellas and 4ft poles staggered in more open areas works. I lost 3 ducks prior. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
I'm also the head roo. I've had wolves on the property also coyote also. So they have my protection
That's so cute 😍 and we also have alot of predators around our land. I have to keep mine in a coop with large run to protect or I probably wouldn't have any left

Back
Top Bottom