Do you take your broody hens off the nest to eat and drink?

klesoine

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
I have four hens (one is in a brooding box nestled with a guinea hen) that are broody. They do not get off the nests at all. I was wondering if I should take them off so they can eat, drink and defecate? They have been on them for two weeks.

Do nothing they know better what to do just make sure they have food and water close, i am sure they eat and drink and you did not see them they get off the nest when they feel it is safe for them and the eggs

Last edited:
thanks. it's really hard to keep food near them because I have goats that cannot stop eating. any suggestions about that?

When my BO goes broody, whenever I see her in the box I toss her outside. I think that it is best to get them off the box for a while to get some fresh air. Sorry, I don't have (but I want) goats. Maybe you could remove them while the hens eat? I have lots of research to do...

Last edited:
It is actually better to not keep feed and water too close to them. If they can reach both from the nest, they have no reason to leave and are more likely to soil the nest.

sorry but i do not agree with you nature and Dna stops them from soiling the nest they know better than us people what they need and what to do and having food close does not mean with in reach from the nest
in my case the nests are almost two feet of the ground and the food and water is on the ground

I have four hens (one is in a brooding box nestled with a guinea hen) that are broody. They do not get off the nests at all. I was wondering if I should take them off so they can eat, drink and defecate? They have been on them for two weeks.
They would be DEAD now if they did not eat or drink for 2 weeks!

Leave them to it. They will leave the nest only a few times each day and return very quickly so not to let the eggs chill.

If you start taking them off you will just cause them stress and they may stay off the nest too long and the eggs will die.

thumbsup.gif
let mother nature do it's job

Back
Top Bottom