Do you think this 14 week old Easter egger with cross beak is a rooster?

Gorgi

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
Also any tips on taking care of a cross beak chicken would be greatly appreciated. It’s not a terrible case of cross beak. It’s not exactly crossed either, it’s more of a curve, but I can tell they have a harder time eating than my other girls and their feathers are taking longer to grow.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 159
I agree with you that in the picture, the saddle feathers don't look long and pointed, and at 14 weeks, the comb appears small and pink too. But yet he does appear to have a sickle feather growing in.🤔 If male, he should begin to crow soon.
Also any tips on taking care of a cross beak chicken would be greatly appreciated. It’s not a terrible case of cross beak. It’s not exactly crossed either, it’s more of a curve, but I can tell they have a harder time eating than my other girls and their feathers are taking longer to grow.
That appears to be a very overgrown upper beak rather than a crossbeak, unless his beak also has a crossed/scissored appearance from the front view. Either way, he definitely needs a beak trim, otherwise the upper beak will continue to over-grow . After you trim his beak, providing a brick, paver, etc may allow him to keep the beak trimmed so you don't need to do so again.
The beak has a quick inside same as toenails do, and will be very painful if you accidently trim into the quick. Here is a beak-trimming article you should find helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

I agree with you that in the picture, the saddle feathers don't look long and pointed, and at 14 weeks, the comb appears small and pink too. But yet he does appear to have a sickle feather growing in.🤔 If male, he should begin to crow soon.

That appears to be a very overgrown upper beak rather than a crossbeak, unless his beak also has a crossed/scissored appearance from the front view. Either way, he definitely needs a beak trim, otherwise the upper beak will continue to over-grow . After you trim his beak, providing a brick, paver, etc may allow him to keep the beak trimmed so you don't need to do so again.
The beak has a quick inside same as toenails do, and will be very painful if you accidently trim into the quick. Here is a beak-trimming article you should find helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/
How did I do?

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 31
How did I do?
Looks better already! Same as trimming a dog's toenails that have grown much too long, it's not possible to cut bird beaks back to the proper length the first time without cutting into the quick. With the end of HER(!) upper beak being light in color, that should help guide you to not cut too close. You could even draw a line with a marker below the quick before her next trim. Looking at the second pictures you posted, her lower beak looks to be chipped off at the end, which is likely what enabled the upper beak to grow too long.

Also looking at the second set of pictures, there is NO way her comb is that of a 14 week old EE cockerel, even though as you said, she is unusual looking. How does her size compare to your other pullets? Please update this thread with more photos of her growth in a few weeks!

Upper beak trim looks fine, the bottom beak definitely looks broken off but hopefully it'll grow back in.

I use both dog nail trimmers and a coarse emery board to maintain crossbeaks. The trimmers are good for taking off overall length but the emery board lets you whittle it back further, and shape and smooth the edges. Emery board helps get rid of little chips that could turn into cracks as well.

Cockerel.
Sorry, but I've never dealt with a cross beak, but I'm sure someone on here will be by to give some great advice for you.
Thanks, I had a feeling just by the tail, but the feathers were still looking pretty round and solid. His names Gudatama and he’s extremely affectionate and gets along with my other hens so i would like to keep him around

Back
Top Bottom