Do you think this 14 week old Easter egger with cross beak is a rooster?

Gorgi

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
Also any tips on taking care of a cross beak chicken would be greatly appreciated. It’s not a terrible case of cross beak. It’s not exactly crossed either, it’s more of a curve, but I can tell they have a harder time eating than my other girls and their feathers are taking longer to grow.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    514.6 KB · Views: 156
Cockerel.
Sorry, but I've never dealt with a cross beak, but I'm sure someone on here will be by to give some great advice for you.
Thanks, I had a feeling just by the tail, but the feathers were still looking pretty round and solid. His names Gudatama and he’s extremely affectionate and gets along with my other hens so i would like to keep him around

I agree with you that in the picture, the saddle feathers don't look long and pointed, and at 14 weeks, the comb appears small and pink too. But yet he does appear to have a sickle feather growing in.🤔 If male, he should begin to crow soon.
Also any tips on taking care of a cross beak chicken would be greatly appreciated. It’s not a terrible case of cross beak. It’s not exactly crossed either, it’s more of a curve, but I can tell they have a harder time eating than my other girls and their feathers are taking longer to grow.
That appears to be a very overgrown upper beak rather than a crossbeak, unless his beak also has a crossed/scissored appearance from the front view. Either way, he definitely needs a beak trim, otherwise the upper beak will continue to over-grow . After you trim his beak, providing a brick, paver, etc may allow him to keep the beak trimmed so you don't need to do so again.
The beak has a quick inside same as toenails do, and will be very painful if you accidently trim into the quick. Here is a beak-trimming article you should find helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/

I agree with you that in the picture, the saddle feathers don't look long and pointed, and at 14 weeks, the comb appears small and pink too. But yet he does appear to have a sickle feather growing in.🤔 If male, he should begin to crow soon.

That appears to be a very overgrown upper beak rather than a crossbeak, unless his beak also has a crossed/scissored appearance from the front view. Either way, he definitely needs a beak trim, otherwise the upper beak will continue to over-grow . After you trim his beak, providing a brick, paver, etc may allow him to keep the beak trimmed so you don't need to do so again.
The beak has a quick inside same as toenails do, and will be very painful if you accidently trim into the quick. Here is a beak-trimming article you should find helpful.
Thank you so much!

How did I do?

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3285.jpeg
    IMG_3285.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 30
I think that it is a pullet! Usually they would have full male specific hackle and saddle feathers by this age. If she was a cockerel she would also have a huge comb. I’ve also seen many EE hens with curved tail feathers!
Also I love her name so much!
I’m hoping they are because my neighbors probably won’t appreciate the crowing lol. I haven’t heard any crowing yet though. Gudatama is kind of funky looking, so I was thinking that the long sickle feather might be an Easter egger thing. If you liked Gudatamas name their sisters names are poachie, sunny, eggplant, stir fry, scrambles, yoki, and omelette.

If you ever trim the beak, use dog toenail clippers, and just the very tip, unless you get advice from someone who does beak trimming. Does a crooked or long beak keep them from crowing?
Yes I used dog toe nail clippers. I was worried to go any shorter than I did and only really did the tip. I haven’t heard any crowing yet, but when I look at them next to my other hens they look like a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom