Do you think this 14 week old Easter egger with cross beak is a rooster?

How did I do?
Looks better already! Same as trimming a dog's toenails that have grown much too long, it's not possible to cut bird beaks back to the proper length the first time without cutting into the quick. With the end of HER(!) upper beak being light in color, that should help guide you to not cut too close. You could even draw a line with a marker below the quick before her next trim. Looking at the second pictures you posted, her lower beak looks to be chipped off at the end, which is likely what enabled the upper beak to grow too long.

Also looking at the second set of pictures, there is NO way her comb is that of a 14 week old EE cockerel, even though as you said, she is unusual looking. How does her size compare to your other pullets? Please update this thread with more photos of her growth in a few weeks!

Yes I used dog toe nail clippers. I was worried to go any shorter than I did and only really did the tip. I haven’t heard any crowing yet, but when I look at them next to my other hens they look like a cockerel.
OK, since you said that, I'm gonna tell you what I am thinking about Gudatama. She/he may truly be a they! It is possible she is a true intersex. Gudatama's appearance reminds me of a chicken I had, that passed away at age 4 last year. Big Girl always had the behaviors of a hen, but looked more male. I always referred to Big Girl as "she" due to her sweet and gentle nature, but always felt she was mixed-sexed due to her appearance. She had one sickle feather that returned every time she molted, but rounded saddle feathers. She was nearly twice the size of her female flockmates, and eventually grew long spurs. (So keep an eye on Gudatama's spur buds too. Yes hens can have spurs too, but still...) No chicken i've had was ever more gentle in nature than Big Girl. She never laid an egg, nor mated or was mated by other chickens. She sorta crowed for a period of weeks when she was 2 years old; then a rooster attacked her and she never crowed again. (It never sounded like a true mature rooster's crow) But for the rest of her life, she clucked like a hen. I had her necropsied at my state lab when she passed away, and she was confirmed intersex. True intersex (having both male and female sex organs) from birth is even more rare than a gyandromorph (having a mixture of both male and female chromsomes.) Here is Big Girl's thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-have-an-androgynous-chicken.1504007/

Looks better already! Same as trimming a dog's toenails that have grown much too long, it's not possible to cut bird beaks back to the proper length the first time without cutting into the quick. With the end of HER(!) upper beak being light in color, that should help guide you to not cut too close. You could even draw a line with a marker below the quick before her next trim. Looking at the second pictures you posted, her lower beak looks to be chipped off at the end, which is likely what enabled the upper beak to grow too long.

Also looking at the second set of pictures, there is NO way her comb is that of a 14 week old EE cockerel, even though as you said, she is unusual looking. How does her size compare to your other pullets? Please update this thread with more photos of her growth in a few weeks!
Thanks! it was my first time ever doing that. When I look on the inside of the upper beak I can see what looks like a ridge and i went with that being the quick, so I wouldn’t go to short. Hopefully the quick will recede over time like you’re saying.

I have been concerned for the bottom beak as well. When I look close it does appear like it was chipped off at the end. It’s been like that for a while now.

Their size is exactly the same as the other pullets I got on the same day. I’ll definitely post some more pics in a few weeks.

OK, since you said that, I'm gonna tell you what I am thinking about Gudatama. She/he may truly be a they! It is possible she is a true intersex. Gudatama's appearance reminds me of a chicken I had, that passed away at age 4 last year. Big Girl always had the behaviors of a hen, but looked more male. I always referred to Big Girl as "she" due to her sweet and gentle nature, but always felt she was mixed-sexed due to her appearance. She had one sickle feather that returned every time she molted, but rounded saddle feathers. She was nearly twice the size of her female flockmates, and eventually grew long spurs. (So keep an eye on Gudatama's spur buds too. Yes hens can have spurs too, but still...) No chicken i've had was ever more gentle in nature than Big Girl. She never laid an egg, nor mated or was mated by other chickens. She sorta crowed for a period of weeks when she was 2 years old; then a rooster attacked her and she never crowed again. (It never sounded like a true mature rooster's crow) But for the rest of her life, she clucked like a hen. I had her necropsied at my state lab when she passed away, and she was confirmed intersex. True intersex (having both male and female sex organs) from birth is even more rare than a gyandromorph (having a mixture of both male and female chromsomes.) Here is Big Girl's thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-have-an-androgynous-chicken.1504007/
I was literally just wondering if that was possible for chickens! The way Gudatama behaves really gives off male and female vibes as well. Thank you for sharing Big girls thread, such a beautiful and unique chicken.

Upper beak trim looks fine, the bottom beak definitely looks broken off but hopefully it'll grow back in.

I use both dog nail trimmers and a coarse emery board to maintain crossbeaks. The trimmers are good for taking off overall length but the emery board lets you whittle it back further, and shape and smooth the edges. Emery board helps get rid of little chips that could turn into cracks as well.

Back
Top Bottom