do you worm for prevention?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdbrain5, May 11, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i have quite a flock going here, and think its in my best interest to get on a worming prevention program. i have chickens, ducks, peafowl, turkeys, and guineas. what can i give them as a worm prevention, and how much, and how often? and where can i get it.
    thanks!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    WOW, that is a varied collection you have.

I only know about the wormers I have used on CHICKENS. . . . I don't know if they are OK for other birds ( ducks)

I worm my birds twice a year - - Once around April and Once around October.
    When I worm - - I hit them with a wormer and wait 10 days and hit them again for all new worm egg hatches.

Most of your wormers have a 14 day egg withdrawal period. That means you will be tossing eggs for 14 days.
    Some folks with continue to eat the eggs during this time BUT DO NOT GIVE THEM AWAY OR SELL THEM because you never
    know who might be allergic to the wormer.

WAZINE is the only wormer approved for chickens. It kills roundworms ONLY. Because it only kills one wormer it is consider gentler than other wormers.
    People who have never wormer their flock start with this wormer, and then 10 days later hit them with a wormer that kills a wide variety of worms.

I've used safegaurd - - the liquid goat wormer before because it was easy to find and is known for its gentleness. The information I read on it said that it was hard to overdose on this wormer. . . . You mix it in their drinking water for a few days, fresh mix each day. It is heavy and settles out of the water, so it doesn't hurt to shake the waterer a few times a day either!

There are other wormers out there too. Currently, I am using a pour on wormer. You have to catch each chicken, find a bare spot ( actually find several bare spots on their neck) and then pour the wormer on their neck. The dosage is so small here that I use a syringe and squirt the wormer on their necks.

With a big flock, the waterer wormer might be the easiest to do . .. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by