Do your chickens have a set roosting spot?

Adalida

Songster
Nov 21, 2015
Montana
Chickens are funny. I thought that over time they'd each get a particular spot on the roosts, being that they are creatures of habit, but no. They pick a different spot every night. Last night there were nine chickens on one roost and three on another. Tonight it's split six on each roost. What do your chickens do? Do they each have a spot or do they move around nightly?

I only have two chickens so I use a huge box, which they use to roost and lay eggs. They generally have set places. One snuggles under the other's feathers like a chick would do to its mother. It's so cute
love.gif

Yup, they seem to enjoy mixing it up, usually accompanied by a lot of squabbling

I only have two chickens so I use a huge box, which they use to roost and lay eggs. They generally have set places. One snuggles under the other's feathers like a chick would do to its mother. It's so cute :love

I have a snuggler too! It startles me sometimes because when I go to lock them up for the night, I'll think one is missing, until I see she's burrowed under another chicken.

I only have 1 big roost bar in my coop (with some smaller ones in the run) but the chickens seem to put themselves on them in any random order (and sometimes facing the "wrong" way). And now that they have a bit longer roost bar to settle on, they've even stopped squabbling. The one and only rule they seem to follow is my Buckeye and EE want to sit next to each other, to the point that my EE will climb over the other birds to get to her best buddy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom