1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do your chickens have a set roosting spot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Adalida, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Chickens are funny. I thought that over time they'd each get a particular spot on the roosts, being that they are creatures of habit, but no. They pick a different spot every night. Last night there were nine chickens on one roost and three on another. Tonight it's split six on each roost. What do your chickens do? Do they each have a spot or do they move around nightly?

2. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    I only have two chickens so I use a huge box, which they use to roost and lay eggs. They generally have set places. One snuggles under the other's feathers like a chick would do to its mother. It's so cute [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Yup, they seem to enjoy mixing it up, usually accompanied by a lot of squabbling

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Indeed!

Sometimes some of them use the same spot for days/weeks....then change it up.<shrugs>

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana

I have a snuggler too! It startles me sometimes because when I go to lock them up for the night, I'll think one is missing, until I see she's burrowed under another chicken.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I only have 1 big roost bar in my coop (with some smaller ones in the run) but the chickens seem to put themselves on them in any random order (and sometimes facing the "wrong" way). And now that they have a bit longer roost bar to settle on, they've even stopped squabbling. The one and only rule they seem to follow is my Buckeye and EE want to sit next to each other, to the point that my EE will climb over the other birds to get to her best buddy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by