Do your chickens like bugs/insects?

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
we throw bugs in there and they run away from them or look at them//us then walk away...

??? they've been outside for a couple months now w/bugs etc..but they wont touch them..

I wanna get them crickets..but am afraid I'd just make a cricket home in my backyard as they may not eat them..

they DONT like the dried mealworms...
dont touch spiders...

now worms they liked,....

my babys hate meal worms that are dried. they walk away, but man you give them live crickets, grass hoppers or meal worms ( live) they go nuts! try living bugs, mine hate spiders to .

i read where worms can give them worms in there gut, is this true?? I have done worms only one time as I do not worm infested chickens! we only do meal worms .

We put a big ugly looking bug in the run with the chicks just a few days ago and they all sat and stared at it until it started moving and then they all went NUTS over it...LOL It was pretty funny! Mine eat all bugs...even spiders. They have only been outside for just over a week (they are 4 weeks old today).

Oh, yes, mine love bugs - ESPECIALLY earwigs! Om nom nom!!!!

But they don't like rolli-polli bugs. Darn it.

Spiders, yup. Bees, yup. Ants, well, so-so. Moths? Yup. Flies? Yes.

And LIVE mealworms, oh you betcha! (I, on the other hand, can't stand to touch 'em, so I use a fork to lift them out of the wheat meal to drop them onto the ground for the chickens. Or into the brooder, for chicks.

Last edited:
I have a friend who's chickens go nuts when they see her caring a paper bag b/c they know it has crickets inside. I have yet to try it. Mine LOVE worms.

mine love them. if a wasp of incect comes close they are gone. When they were in the brooder i would pick up incests and feed them to them..
Have thought about putting a light in the pen to draw incest in.

If theyre not used to you feeding them bugs, which it sounds like they arent, theyre probably freaked out by you making the "throw the insect in the run motion" and arent comfortable to peck and look for bugs..... theyll get used to it eventually... or maybe try to do it more covertly.... chickens are weird...

Back
Top Bottom