Do your chickens wander into the road?? HELP ME

Quote:
These are probably the best things to get if you don't build a fence. Otherwise, you WILL lose chickens. To cars, loose dogs or other animals, etc. Sooner or later. (Likely sooner.)

A sign won't do anything. 5 acres is nothing. I had 5 acres and it wasn't enough for anything. I still got complaints. I want 100 minimum next time so I can have a HUGE buffer zone.

I dont have any complaining neighbors, I'm not sure what you meant by this....
I have 1 neighbor and he could care less if the chickens were over there all day. Hes a good guy

Hi, I am having the same problem as you. I really cannot afford to fence off the front and I definitely have a lot more than 5 acres to occupy them. I lost one pullet this summer and they stayed away for a long time and now are going back. I got chickens to free range so I know it is a reality that I will lose some. A few days ago another got clipped right in front of me. She is ok and they still haven't learned. I am home all day and am trying to make them scared of the road. I will go out and around then chase back in with a water gun. This is even if just in the ditch I don't want them near the road period.

We've got frontage on a state highway too and while the ladies haven't gone to the road (thank goodness) they have wandered too close for my comfort. They have a good 80 acres behind the barn if they so desired but they like to be around people and we're usually working close to the house and the house is close to the road- you see how that works! I've scared them back by flapping my arms and yelling at them twice now (and each time the cars going by at that moment blew their horns and waved, probably wondering why I was so happy to see them
roll.png
) I can't afford to fence ours in either, so I think I'm going to try cutting them off from anything in the front yard for a while and see if I can get habits to change.
I know this wasn't much help, but you're not alone!

All my years of letting them wander I've only lost one chicken--she was the Lone Chicken that left the flock and survived about 6 month--including over the winter--on her own. Trouble was she took to crossing the road and paid the price--we've also lost 2 dogs, and 5 cats on the same road and it isn't a major road by any means--stone/oil and not even lined. What is equally interesting is there is a guy who has multiple chickens along State Rt 12--these birds just run and reproduce--whose birds are always along the road yet I've never seen a dead one there. Unless he picks them up when they get hit--which I doubt--they are smart enough to avoid 55+ mph traffic.

Mine go very close to the road only to dig in the woods at their good bug spots. If you are not up for big time fencing, good old chicken wire does deter them from wandering where they are not supposed to. We have some chicken wire in between us and the neighbors and we plan on putting up fence across the front yard to keep them in the back.

Well, I hate to be pessimistic.
But if you continue to free-range, you will eventually lose
some of your birds.
If not to cars on the road, then to a predator for sure.
It's just part of free-ranging.

Good luck,
spot

Oh my...its just like I could of wrote this myself!! I think I will try posting signs like you mentioned...at least it might make people slow down a little and watch out for them...

Quote:
Wood mort, you live very close to me-- I am just in Sidney Center!! I know Rt. 12 well and thanks for the insight. I live on the same type of road as you....

Great to see a neighbor here!
big_smile.png

Thanks everybody. Yesterday was beautiful so I was working outside all day. They were fine until we walked around the pond and of course, they were trailing behind us and that is closer to the road.

We walk back to the house and then I see the piped up head of my Buff Orp in the ditch by the road
barnie.gif

Well I went tearing up there with the ATV (Vroom,vroom,) and they boogied back down.

I'm going to Walmart today to see if I can find some stencils for my sign to pretty it up. I WISH i could draw, but the Lord didnt see fit I needed that talent!

To the folks that keep reminding me that heartbreak is inevitable because I let them free range- I understand that I am taking that chance. But I'm doing everything in my power that I know of to protect them and keep them as safe as is possible with free range chickens

Back
Top Bottom