Do your chicks love you?!!!

Do your chicks love you?!

• Total voters

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
My chicks love me they will jump on my hand to come out I was wondering do other people have chicks who love them too?

If I lay my hand down in the brooder palm UP, they come to see what's up and will climb all over my hand and arm. If I put my hand in palm DOWN, it's more like a move a predator would do - so they run away.

I find it interesting how the behaviors and instincts vastly differ between predator animals and prey animals. It's rather hard for humans to wrap our minds around the thinking of a prey animal. It's just so foreign to us! I've learned a LOT about handling cattle, goats, chickens and other animals by learning to NOT behave like a predator. Like how to put your hand into a brooder with chicks and have them come to you instead of running away.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, @Farmgirl283420 , but it's not love. With chicks, it's purely instinct. That's all. As they grow, you can gain their trust and they'll learn new behaviors with you, but don't mistake it for affection. But YOU can love them all you want. Sometimes, that's enough! :love

If I lay my hand down in the brooder palm UP, they come to see what's up and will climb all over my hand and arm. If I put my hand in palm DOWN, it's more like a move a predator would do - so they run away.

I find it interesting how the behaviors and instincts vastly differ between predator animals and prey animals. It's rather hard for humans to wrap our minds around the thinking of a prey animal. It's just so foreign to us! I've learned a LOT about handling cattle, goats, chickens and other animals by learning to NOT behave like a predator. Like how to put your hand into a brooder with chicks and have them come to you instead of running away.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, @Farmgirl283420 , but it's not love. With chicks, it's purely instinct. That's all. As they grow, you can gain their trust and they'll learn new behaviors with you, but don't mistake it for affection. But YOU can love them all you want. Sometimes, that's enough! :love
Yes I know I like to think so my adult chickens look for me daily along with my chicks my adult also are lap chickens shoulder chickens and the chicks like to perch on me every where they jump in my hand to come out but yes I know they don’t love me

My chickens all run up to me. They run away from strangers. They are cautious and standoffish to other family members, even w treats.
So they definitely recognize individuals, and I can tell they love to see me above anyone else. Define that as you wish.

They certainly love pecking at my fingers there's no doubt.

They used to be so shy just a few days ago but I kept repeating the same sound when feeding them and now they come running for some treats (wet feed) soon as they hear it!

One of the older Brahma chicks loves to peck at the food in my hand then sneakily inch his way to my ring finger pecking harder as he gets closer, every single time.
He'd pinch the skin on my fingers then wiggle his head to trying to tear it apart, he's the only one to do that too! Looks like we got some crocodile genes mixed up in him:lol:

My chickens all run up to me. They run away from strangers. They are cautious and standoffish to other family members, even w treats.
So they definitely recognize individuals, and I can tell they love to see me above anyone else. Define that as you wish.
Same here!

They certainly love pecking at my fingers there's no doubt.

They used to be so shy just a few days ago but I kept repeating the same sound when feeding them and now they come running for some treats (wet feed) soon as they hear it!

One of the older Brahma chicks loves to peck at the food in my hand then sneakily inch his way to my ring finger pecking harder as he gets closer, every single time.
He'd pinch the skin on my fingers then wiggle his head to trying to tear it apart, he's the only one to do that too! Looks like we got some crocodile genes mixed up in him:lol:
Lol so funny what I little sly guy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom