Do your kids have chores?

Quote:
Yes we do have a riding lawnmower. I am not that mean!
lol.png

I can't believe all the responses. I am so glad I am not alone when it comes to not paying for chores. I don't think I am going to change the way I do things. I may think about paying for extra big chores but I don't know yet.

My children also want for nothing. If they want something they get it most of the time, within reason. Hubby and I are going to sit down with her tonight and explain that we don't pay her for chores because it is expected etc and also remind her that she wants for nothing around here. If she wants to make money of her own then it needs to be something way above and beyond what is expected.

Thank you for all the wonderful responses.

I have two children, ages 6 and 3(in august). They both have chores, or jobs or "stuff done". I hear my son telling my daughter that we are going to go do such and such after we "get our stuff done" and that means their chores to them. To be completely honest, it has not even occurred to me to pay them! Not now,and not when they are older. I never got an allowance, and I thought I got off easy with what I had to do. I never lacked for anything, and if I wanted something, I asked. Mine are still young enough to make a game with chores. I do have charts for them, and they get stickers, and once they get enough stickers on their chart they can turn it in for an ice cream cone or lunch of their choice (here at home). The charts right now serve more as a reminder of the things they have to do.

My dh and I have talked to both kids about teamwork and doing things as a family since the tie they were born. I want it to be an ingrained thing to them, that they do without question. Not even necessarily because we expect them to do it, even if we do, but because it is the RIGHT thing to do. I don't want to raise kids that expect something for nothing, and think they have a right to all that life has to offer without putting forth some effort.

Just my 0.02
Rachel

When my 4 year old was only two, he insisted on going out with me to grain the calves. Then he insisted on dragging the buckets back to the grain shed when they were empty. It got to where that was his thing to do and I wouldn't let him not do it. We no longer live on the ranch, so now his job is to check for eggs and check the food and the water on all the animals. He helps feed them too. Especially HIS quad of Buff Orps. He also unloads the dishwasher by putting everything on the counters in the general location of where they go and putting the silverware away. Both boys (I have another one who is two now) are expected to clean up after themselves as much as possible as well.

Some good stuff here. My son has a lot of chores. I firmly believe chores
build discipline and character. He doesn't get an allowance and won't ever.

Eventually he will work with me on some side jobs and he will get paid for
his time like it was a job. This will be the start of his "work ethic" training.

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, PC. Kids should be raised with responsibility and learn that there are no hand outs. As my boys get older, I will add to the things they are responsible for. Right now we do good with the little things. I made a post recently about the buff orps that are my son's. Right now I pay for everything for them and any money I bring in for their eggs (whether for eating or hatching) I am going to put into an fund just for him and his birds. As he gets older and can learn to budget, I will have him budget for HIS birds out of HIS fund.

All our kids have "jobs" (what we call it) If they get it all done all week, they get Fridays off... if they don't, they have work to do on Fridays also. Sundays are a free day, regardless.

Even our 2yo has jobs. She helps the 4yo unload the dishwasher. She hands the stuff to him, he puts it in the cupboard... she also does the silverware, he does the cooking utensils.

My 2 picky eaters help plan meals, and food prep, and help cook. Then they're more likely to eat more foods (at least TRY them)

They are all responsible for their beds/linens. And getting their dirty clothes to the laundry room.

4yo helps w/ laundry (loading and unloading)

4yo and 6yo hang clothes on the line (assembly line process they came up with, using a step ladder)

8yo and 12yo do bigger things... most all of the chicken care, mow the lawn (we have 6 acres, though not all mowable and a push mower) They work in sections. Shovel snow in the winter.

The older ones also take turns getting the younger ones ready for bed. Meaning after I get them out of the tub, they get pajamas on them, help them brush their teeth, and read a story, then I go up and read them all a story and say prayers.

I'm sure there are more jobs than that, that's all I can think of off hand.

They do get paid for some jobs. When DH and I both have work to do (we work from our home) and we need a sitter for the younger ones... we'll pay an older one, instead of having a teen come over. They can choose whether we hire a sitter, or they do it. Usually they want to earn the money. They also GO to work w/ us when we have jobs that they can go to, and they earn money. They don't get their money then and there though, they have to wait until the following Friday for "pay day" and they have to pay Tithes, and put part into savings. The rest they can choose to spend or save. We have a "store" (a big box) that we set up on Saturdays that they can purchase things from.... candy, pop (soda), misc. toys they want, X-box games, craft projects. Things they would go buy at a store w/ their money... I just pick 'e'm up when they're on sale.. and keep in our "store" box to avoid having to drive them to the store. We started this whole store process a couple months ago as a $$ lesson, and it was such a hit that it continued. (we homeschool)

They also visit my parents quite often, and the jobs carry over to their house. They insist on doing "their" jobs while visiting.. it's pretty funny. My mom's a perfectionist so it's hard for her to let the kids help w/ things!

Bren, are you going to show these posts to yer youngin'?
big_smile.png
Make her not feel so alone out there in her struggle for recompense for chores. All kids want the jingle!

Heck, I would like to get paid for MY efforts around the house as well, and I want to know just who set up this system, anyhow?
lol.png

Everyone has such great systems set up. I don't, however, think it is cruel to have to mow with a push mower. I won't go into what it was like to mow 6 acres of lawn this way, when I was growing up, without the luxury of even a weedeater....but it makes for good exercise, a good tan and time to think of ways to make enough money when you grow up that you can hire someone else to do your chores for you....
lol.png

I am 11 and I have chores. I clean my room, take care of the chickens, unload the dishwasher, take care of my cat, take care of my lizard, pick up my stuff around the house, help when it's Cleaning Day, etc. My mom came up with the idea of having a checklist for all my daily chores. If I do all of them and check them off, I get $2 per week. I personally hate the checklist. I don't always remember to check off every little thing I do; concequently I haven't gotten an allowance in about 10 weeks, even if I did do all of my chores. I can't seem to persuade my mom to drop the List, but I can urge you: please don't use one, for the sake of you DD's quality of life. If you can tell she did her chores, she should be OK.
Most kids I know get an allowance for doing seemingly nothing at all. And they get like $5! I'm not saying chores are bad Bad BAD- they aren't. Kids shouldn't lie around doing nothing and get paid for it. Chores build stamina. I'm not saying you should give your DD all the chores in the house; just that it's not like your making her do something outrageous and horrible.
For the amount of work your DD is doing right now, she should definitly get paid. It's an incentive thing. For the amount of labor she does per week I'd say to give her $3-$5 (mowing 1.5 acres is a LOT!).
If your DD doesn't listen to what you tell her have her read this. I think a kid's POV might perk her up. Sometimes what your parents say is not interesting and just seems like orders, orders, orders (sorry, all you parents out there who are reading this). So even if what they say makes sense, you don't neccesarily want to listen. And, even if you do listen and agree, sometimes kids disagree because their parents didn't really use the right tone and it seems like just another order.
May I repeat once more: whatever you do, DON"T use a List. I cannot change the course of my own life (sniffle) but I can save another fellow girl from it.

Thank you.

WOW! Quite articulate for an 11 year old! I say give her some money just for being so mature and sensible! We are going to need her passion and common sense in our world....heck, we need it NOW!

She's a keeper, Mom!
smile.png

Quote:
Ah yes I forgot about this. I have gotten High Honors (all A's) all last year. Every quarter we get a report card. When I make High Honors my parents take me out to sushi (yuummm!). I know kids who get $50 every time they get an A. I think this is really unneccesary. I like my sushi. I had been saving my $$ for an Apple G4 laptop. I had about $250 (a used costs around $350). However, I also had to pay for my (incredibly expensive, but TOTALLY important) riding lessons. So one day my mom said they had found a refurbished G4 with a warranty for $300, and since they were so proud of my for getting all High Honors they would pay 1/2 the price. I was really excited because I only had to pay $150. I don't ahve it yet, but I will. I think paying for grades isn't really reasonable- the little things (like having a friend over) are enough. Besides, when my parents say I can't, say, have a friend over, I can say "But what about High Honors?" and they sometimes crack.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom