Docile Rooster Breeds ?

My australorp roo is very nice. He herds the ladies around and even when they started laying, he hasn't changed in personality. The worst I've gotten from him is gentle peck on my hand when trying to foolishly feed them grain witout glooves. Oops.
smile.png

He has gotten a kick or two for either running at me or trying to nip my fiancee, but still they weren't agressive like other roos can be.

I also like my barred rock and EE roo. I think though, that I have been really lucky with personalities.

I have a Jersey Giant roo. He went after the kids (my kids are older, 7, 9 and 11) a couple of times until they started bringing a broom in and/or giving him the stink eye.

He's nearly 6 months old. So I knew it was teenage hormones. We're teaching him that he's master of his hens, but not our master.

He's a great defender of the flock and likes to be picked up. He'll crow at us when he sees us because he wants treats or company.

I'm the only one who's ever been spared an attack. He likes me, and I showed him very early on who was boss. I had to, because this guy is going to be one huge mofo when he's full grown.

I also have a little black Silkie roo who's only 6 weeks old and still residing in our basement. I think he'll be a very sweet guy.

This thread has been going a while! My had a RIR rooster and he was mean. He attacked my lawn mower, me, my son, my wife, my mother-in-law, anything and everything. I gave him away to a deputy. (Hopefully he'll remember me if he pulls me over one day!) Anyway I got a buff orp rooster. He is very skittish of me. He doesn't come at me aggressive but he does take special notice, and makes me wonder, when I am handling one of the hens. He WILL attack my 3yr old son if my son is running and gets to close. Yesterday my son was trying to pet one of the hens and although the hens are skittish they let him almost touch them so it's very inticing for him to try. Anyway, as he was doing this the roo jumped torward my son, accidentally landed on the hen he was trying to protect which gave me just enough time to kick him away while he was inches from my boy. I kicked him and he flipped backwards. I don't like to kick them but when it comes to protecting my boy I won't hesitate!

Hmmm great reading guys. Sorry I am not in the forum often these days. Chickens are in now 12 X 20 pen with 4 X 8 hen house, all eleven mixed up of them. Two Roo's are getting along OK with ea other, often standing side by side and crowing. Wee Roo (Seabright) is very respectful of Big Roo (Welsummer) they are all 5 months old now and all survived! No eggs yet but it is winter.

I do have a request for some info though. I got the Welsummer Roo understanding they are a 'docile' breed??? Well he has attacked me 3 times now (as long as he is OK with hens he will still have a home...) I have never had a serious problem with roo's other than more roo than hens hatching out in home broods... At any rate, the 3 times he attacked I had or was carrying red??? DO CHICKENS / ROOS SEE RED??? I remember reading somewhere to use a red base for food/water'rs to get chicks attention.

1st attack I was carrying out their little water'r I use for weekly vitamins / probiotics / cider vinegar, Big Roo went after the hand carrying the red base! Next attack I went in early morning half asleep wearing my full length long sleeve RED night shirt and he attacked full blast. Luckily I had their feed tub in my hand and was able to fend him off with that and a swift shove/kick across the pen. Next it was my favorite work shirt which is an orangy/red plaid, again a full blast attack the moment I went in the pen.

So now I wear every color but red and redish, but I also carry the metal lid to their feed can just in case. He keeps his distance respectfully now and has just started his dance with the hens. So far only typical aggression towards the banty roo and I can seperate the pen if I need too.

BUTTTT DO ROOSTERS SEE RED 'LITERALLY' AND IS THEIR ROO PSYCHOLOGY TO THIS??? Any suggestions and shared experience much welcome! He is a beeeeeeuty and I don't want to have to get rid of him (only if he is too hard on his hens, he has 2 Welsummer and 2 Wyandottes his size, the banty hens and roo will soon have an escape route to get away as needed. The hen house has two entrances and exits too just in case...

GREAT FORUM SECTION THANX FOR EVERYONE'S CONTRIBUTIONS!!!
thumbsup.gif
PS I just opened my Art Studio/Gallery 'The Lazy Horseshoe'n anyone need paintings of chickens??? I think my next painting will be 'Albion' my big roo, but I have some classic chick pix I can work from too, thinking of doing a full 12 greeting card bunch of paintings! www.wendyharford.com in Cottonwood AZ

I know chickens see red or are attracted to it. Thats why feeders and waters have a red base typically. Might explain they roosters have red combs and waddles, to get the girls attention.

As for the rooster attacking you, I don't know if that has to do with your color of clothes or not. I had a rooster that attacked me irregardless. I then got a buff orp rooster and he never bothered me but did go after my 3 year old if he got to close to him. He died 3 days ago. I found him lying face first in the coop's run. He had only been dead a few hours. I have no idea what happened to him as he had no obvious injuries. He was only about 9-10 months old.

Anyway, bottom line is even the 'docile' breeds will typically still have a mean roo from time to time. If you have a mean roo now, he'll probably always be mean. And as for them not fighting yet, I would imagine as they both mature and get older and bigger that might not be the case unless you have a lot of hens and large area they are kept in.

Quote:

Yeah, disappointedly I am thinking already of how to seperate them or at least put in a divider into a section 'Big Roo' can't get into. I am going to try to fence off and cover the planned veggie garden space and let them out in there too and if worst comes to worst will use a dog kennel and seperate Big Roo out for most of the week, but how sad for him. I am just worried if he is this aggressive with me (another full blown attack this morning and I wasn't wearing any read) how aggressive will he be with his hens?

Remains to be seen I guess, but I am preparing for the worst. I may look for home for him elsewhere with bigger flock and free range which I can't accomodate here right now. Will hang on for now.

I have planned a photo and sketch session in the run this weekend and see if he settles while I am in there for awhile.

He does not like crashing into a metal can lid for sure, but do chickens learn or just act and react on instinct. Ahhhh the psychology of chickens...

Thanx for your response. The pic now posted is one of him at 3 months old when he was shy but eating out of my hand and only assertive about food! I will post more after this weeks photo session!

My RIR rooster was really mean but he was not aggressive to the hens. We have no room for a mean rooster at our home. It's just not worth having to look behind you every time you're around him. We gave our RIR rooster away on Craigslist. He was just to mean, and attacked me, my lawnmower, my son, my wife, and my mother-in-law. My buff oprington rooster that I raised (the one I mentioned died last week) was really nice EXCEPT to my son. My 3 yr old would get chased by him. I hate to say it, but things are much happier here with him gone, and he was a nice one. The ducks and chickens now get along and roam around together, I don't have to constantly watch and protect my son when he is in there "helping" me feed and water them. Not to mention I don't have to listen to the crowing, ALL DAY.

I'll probably get another rooster later on, but right now I don't plan on hatching and raising my own for now, so I don't have to have one.

I've read a lot of tips on how to 'tame' a rooster. Some say kick the crap out of them everytime, some say hand feeding them, some say carrying them upside down for a while. None of this worked. They don't remember they lost the fight the last time they picked a fight. Rarely will one suddenly 'get it' and learn to not come after you. But that's just my opinion. Good luck !

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom