Docile Rooster Breeds ?

silkies! i love love love my silkie rooster, raven! cochins are pretty nice, too, but mine sometimes attack young boys (my little brother, for example). they're very sweet with me and my younger sister, though!

I've had no luck with roosters myself, among several heavy breeds I've tried.
tongue.png
My neighbor has an EE roo who is a pet. They did have 3, he's the only one left. I don't know why he's so pleasant, other than he has no ladies to protect.

My marans roosters are about the most docile roosters I've ever owned. My worste? A RIR when I was a kid that finally got kicked so hard by my cousin he croaked. THE WORST was a bantam black cochin we called Grumpy. I don't know how many times my hubby knocked him clean out. He would lay there like he was dead then eventually come to, shake it off and fly at us again. When we moved my sister took him for me since I didn't have facilities at our new place. She kept him for a number of years. He died at the age of 9. She knocked him unconscious a few times, and she whacked him one time when he flew at her. Broke his leg. She splinted him up and he healed up to be just as big of a pest as before.

May you rest in peace, Grumpy, you mean little warrior.

lol.png
I have had lots of chickens of different breeds(barred rock, silkies, japanese, orpington,cochin, polish,rhode island,wyandotte,} etc., but I have found you can't tell what a rooster personality is going to be like until he is at least over 6 months old or hits puberty. Once puberty hits their personality can change just like us humans. I had two polish roosters and I only wanted to have one rooster so I made the mistake of getting rid of the one who bullied the other rooster. That is when the rooster who had been bullied became one of the meanest roosters we have ever had. He was a golden polish. Never went after my husband but made my life miserable and I posted an ad on craigslist and yes I put on there that he was exceptionally mean, a gentleman called me who lived not to far away who came and got him. I asked him what he was going to do with him, he told me he kept guineas and chickens and the guineas kept his chickens from eating, the rooster he had would not stand up to the guineas and he was hoping the polish rooster(bad,bad Leroy Brown,his name) would be able to stand up to the guineas. He called and reported that he had, kept chickens a long time and had not seen a polish rooster as aggressive and he was able to stop the problem of the chickens being unable to eat.

But I must add that Leroy Brown was not my meanest rooster, that would go to the four Rhode Island Red roosters that I shot and we put in the freezer, I never thought I could shoot any animal I had raised from a chick, but I now know that when your roosters attack you enough you will get your belly full and say enough is enough. I might add at that time the kids were in college so were never around the roosters. I now have grandchildren and any rooster that shows any aggression towards people is promptly put in the freezer. I know some people will say that they carry them around or kick them . But so far I have never had experience with this working, they are usually just that much more sneaky about trying to attack you or other people.

We are now starting over with new chickens this spring after a rest from chicken keeping after my father died and my mother moved in with us. I would like suggestions on which breed would make an average layer, good meat bird and docile. I know that any breed rooster can be mean, but in general I know that some of the breeds have fewer mean roosters. Any help would be appreciated.

We have what I think is a Leghorn. He was the sweetest thing in the world until we had a bear show up in our backyard who tried to get in the coop. Ever since, anytime our 3 year old boy goes near one of his ladies, he attacks and attacks hard. He has never gone after either myself or my boyfriend but we can't have him going after the little guy.

I am too looking for a more gentle/laid back Roo...I love Brooster but if he can't learn to leave the boy alone, he maybe headed for dinner.

I would love to insert some photos but don't know how. LOL

Our barred rock/ buff orp roosters are really sweet dispositioned... unlike their dad( the barred rock... mean as all get-out he was)... are austrolorp is OK unless he thinks you gonna hurt his girls... then he gets nasty...

I love my silkie rooster. I take him in purses with me to the feed store!
I have 2 young cockerels who are quite nice. They're barred rock and light sussex mixes. My cochin roo pecked me when I put a hen in my lap, haha I turned around and whacked him with a stick and he ran away
big_smile.png

My light sussex Melvin isn't aggressive either. I personally suggest silkies though.
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom