Docile Rooster Breeds ?

Hands down Brahmas!
They are quiet, gentle, easily handled, kid friendly & they don,t mind having another Roo around!

Many other Great Breeds but,
A lot depends on the strain of other breed!

Joanne

I have a Giant Cochin Roo "Barrack" he is very sweet and gentle and very passive. He is tame and eats right out of my 4 yr. old's hand! He's a GREAT protector for my girls and does his job...but it very nice about it. Here's a pic(by the way he's only 7mths. old)!!!
43069_chickens_039.jpg

I just had to get rid of my barred rock roo- he was attacking us and being quite rough with my hens. I like having a rooster to watch over the girls, but scabbed up and featherless is no way for them to go through the winter! I can deal with a roo coming after me once in a while, but not tearing up my hens. That's where I draw the line! I think we'll take a break from having a rooster for a while.... but we may eventually get another. I was thinking either a welsummer, cochin, or orpington roo when the time comes. Any experience with these breeds being nice and gentle with the hens?

My BO roo is fairly tame. He lets us hold him and has never came at me or my husband. He has lately started going after my kids though. I'd say if you have kids you need to be careful no matter what kind you get. I never would have thought ours would turn mean. We raised him from a chick and he had never been mean before but in the past couple of months he has been trying to attack my 5 and 9 year old. My new Ameraucana roo seems to be pretty docile so far but I think he is fairly young.

My BR roo I raised from a chick has started being agressive toward the kids, then me. Today he went full force at me when I was trying to enter the pen to give him food. He is about a year old and since he started puberty I have noticed his agressive tendencies toward my other roo has intensified. Well when he went after me today I beat the crap out of him. But I just don't think it will end there, I think he may be an agressive strain of the breed. Sad cause he is a beautiful bird and the only BR Roo I have but having to go through the headache of dealing with him every time we collect eggs is ridiculous! I think I will have to re-home him or may chicken soup. My other roo, betty, A legbar mix or something, who is alot bigger has never attacked me but has kicked the BR roos butt, so they had to be seperated. I was going to rehome Betty but now I think maybe personality is more important then "pure breed". What do you think? Is it a breed thing or a personality thing? Also Betty is quite a bit older than my BR Roo, do you think he will grow out of these agressive tendencies? I have one other roo, Red, a turken who is very docile, but now I am wondering if he will turn into the devils spawn too.
barnie.gif
He and the BR Roo are about the same age I think, I have had him since last Nov. Some advice please, I am confused.
idunno.gif

I have a RIR who is a perfect gentleman and has a nice temperament and hasn't shown any aggression to me or anyone else. And I have just discovered that I have a Jersey Giant roo who is also very easy going and no hint of aggression. And, I'm wondering about my cochin - if s/he is a rooster, s/he is a very nice one, with a very laid back temperament. Looking at the pictures of the cochins in this post, I wonder again if my cochin is a rooster. I've thought all along that it was a female, but lately s/he is engaging in some rooster type behaviour. If these three are indeed all roosters, I can recommend them. There has been good harmony for the most part between them and the hens (11 hens, assuming the cochin is a rooster). They treat the hens well. The RIR is a perfect gentleman with the hens and so far, no one has bothered the week old chicks we just hatched via a broody hen. The cochin and the black jersey have had a bit of a rough time with the other hens. The brown hens seem a bit prejudiced, as they won't let these two eat with them, especially the cochin, though that's getting better all of a sudden. The dynamics seem especially to be changing in the last week since we've had some new chicks hatch. The Cochin is now allowed to roost in the front ranks with the brown hens and the RIR rooster for some reason. The Jersey had a rough start as they pulled out his neck feathers when they were all new and young this past winter. Don't know who did it (hens or the RIR rooster). I think the reason we have such good harmony for the most part is because the Jersey Giant and the Cochin are so good natured, they just back off (or run) and they bide their time and eat when they get a chance, sometimes getting creative (the cochin lies under the hanging feeder, picking up the grain spilled by the others). I really get a kick out of her/him.

44517_2010_april_17_baby_chicks_009.jpg

44517_2010_april_17_baby_chicks_022.jpg

44517_2010_april_17_baby_chicks_012.jpg

44517_2010_april_17_baby_chicks_031.jpg

Can you get Barnevelders in the USA? We have one, and although huge, he is the perfect gentleman, stays out of your way, and looks after his girls. My silkie roos have also been well behaved.The worst one we had was a White Leghorn who made the mistake of flying at my husband, scratching his cheek and knocking his glasses off(he could jump 5 ft high) when hubby was chopping wood, the axe was promptly put to another use! The bestplace for an aggresive Rooster is the dinner table!
droolin.gif

My SS roo is a full year old now, and is what I would consider wary but respectful. He hasn't flown at anyone, aside from the occasional hit at my boots. But I just carry a broom with me and he totally leaves me alone(I still keep an eye on him though 'cause you just never know). My Sweetest Ever roo though is my little d'Uccle. LOVE LOVE LOVE him!!! Not only is he soo handsome, but incredibly sweet.

Cochins, Pekins, Silkies, Orps, ShowGirls. Almost no roos are mean just people talk about the mean ones more. The roos that you SHOULDNT get: Gamecocks, RIR, Leghorn

Back
Top Bottom