Docile Rooster Breeds ?

I am sorry to hear that, I just want a rooster that will give me chicks, and one that I do not have to beat off with a stick every time I go in the coop.

Thanks for all the help, I think I might be leaning toward Frizzled Cochins. Maybe when We move I will have a pen or two. I know that it has to be Frizzled X Smooth for proper breeding.

My pet rooster, Buster, is extremely docile--he comes when I call him, will eat out of my hand, trails me around the yard like a puppy, etc.--and from what we understand, he has at least a bit of RIR in him. (All of our chickens are "mutts.") In about 10 years of raising chickens, we actually have never had a rooster with aggression issues (toward people), but I think at least part of that is due to the fact that all of them have been raised from chicks and all have had extensive human interaction, even if nothing more than talking to them daily. I usually try to get them to eat from my hand at least a bit though, 'cause they're so darn cute.
smile.png

This is Buster:
IMG_2370_smaller.jpg

well they all came from eggs I hatched and they did get a good bit of interaction maybe not daily ( I am still in school ) but they did get a lot of attention.

My blue Ameraucana roo is way too docile. Just barely started trying to crow... hasn't learned to connect with the hens yet.... we have a 14 week old leghorn roo that is already doing his thing with the hens.

None of my 9 or so roosters are aggressive toward us, not even the Rhode Island Red (he tried once and using the 10 second rule, I whacked him and never a problem since) sometimes I have to pick him up and carry him where I want him to roost and always pet him and talk softly. The most aggressive is the tiny Dutch bantam that hangs out with the big RIR, but he is not a problem to people, just other roos. The Silkies are real sweethearts (except toward each other at times). The Dark Cornish bantam wants to take on the other roos and crows way way too much but mostly trying to get me to pick him up and carry him around.

My rooster problem is the crowing that starts about 3 am and goes on sporatically most of the day.

I've been hatching out my own (mutt) eggs for years, I've added selected breed pullets from time to time, but only kept the Roosters that I've raised. The selection process was easy-----aggressive Roosters entered the Freezer. I've noticed that the Roosters with muted colors were docile and friendly, brightly colored Roosters were mean to the hens, chicks, and people. My Roosters now will take food from my hand and call the hens over to eat it.

I have had three speckled sussex roos all very sweet and calm. I now have two ee roos no problems from either. Of my three blue andalusian roo's only one lived to adulthood, and left this earth shortly after for attacking (he was sneaky too, only when your back was turned!), Also had a polish roo about 10 years ago, that was horrible, the second time he went after my then toddlers face he was gone, should have been gone the first time.

Ive always heard that chickens with RED eyes are the ones to be wary of. I never bothered paying attention to a roos eyes but only had one agressive one. a huge RIR when i was growing up. I threatened to run away if dad didnt kill him. He cornered me one saturday and mom heard me screaming and ran out and her lil 410 took care of my problem for me. lol.
The only roo i have now is a red GameCock. His name is Steve (Steve spurrier of the SC gamecocks) . His spurs are now a bout 2" long and are wicked. He just killed my only polish cockeral last week (I had just told a friend that i prob. needed to seperate them before steve realized he had another roo in his flock). Anyway, i got him at about 7 months, and hes a great protector of his hens. Fought off a bulldog that killed one, he lost tail feathers in the fight but ran the dog off!!! He gets within 2 feet from me, but has never tried me. I would like to catch him and cut his spurs but i dont want to piss him off. hehe But i like the game cock for a protector and hes an all around good roo.

Back
Top Bottom