1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Does a honk like a goose

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robbinsroost, Jun 2, 2010.

1. robbinsroost

robbinsroost In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    [​IMG][​IMG] does a honk like a goose count for an attempt at crowing?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Maybe. It's either crowing or squawking, probably. [​IMG]

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    [​IMG] Sometimes! My bigger breed roos sometimes honk when first try to crow. Funny to see them so startled by the bizarre noises they make. [​IMG]

4. TwilightMom

TwilightMom Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Livermore, California
    Oh no! I have a barred rock that started to honk like a goose. I hope it's a she....we already have one surprise rooster! I think she's a hen, tho. She honks when she gets a treat and is running away from the others, trying to play keep away.

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I have 3 girls that honk like geese. it's too funny. my roos always sound like an ahooga horn like on old cars. lol it's too funny

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a couple girls who make a short, single honk sound every now and then. Always makes me look, because it sounds so "un-chicken-like." It's a very, very short sound, even shorter than a regular "bok."

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I had a Buff Orp pullet that honked like a goose, especially when it was hot out.

A roosters first crow, doesn't sound like honking. (at least not the ones I've had) The closest I can come to describing it is someone playing the trombone REALLY, REALLY, REALLY badly.

8. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    He he! I remember one of mine, in particular, actually sounded like a dying cow when he first started to "crow". [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When mine started, I wondered if the Neighbors I Don't Like had finally HAD IT with the chihuahua they keep ON A CHAIN, and were finally strangling it. Or it was strangling itself on that chain.....

And then Carl did it in front of me and I said, "Oh, Carl! You'll have to do better than THAT!" (It was so cute.)

10. lauriruth

lauriruth Songster

my Buff Orp has honked since she was small. she's the only one who does it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by