Does ADVANTIX Even Work??!!!

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
My pup has had at LEAST 10-12 ticks found on her in the last couple of days (after we took her for a walk on some trails on our street)...
I treated her with Advantix over a week or 2 ago.......
Soo..... WHY is she still getting ticks?? I thought the stuff killed ticks?? Nope..there they are.... butts in the air... sucking blood... GAH!
he.gif

What else can i do to help protect her and my other dog?? Any other med work better??

Ew, ticks turn my stomach. XP Never found away to keep them off our dog...or us, in Virginia. It was like a tick Armageddon there.

Quote:
In the past we tried a few different brands. Don't waste your money on Bio-Spot, it does NOT work. Frontline was our favorite brand.

Our Guineas have really made a major dent in the tick population. We haven't given our dogs anything for ticks in well over a year and they're still practically tick-free.

I used Advantix once. I concur that it is a waste of money.

Ticks are a moderate problem in the western part of Washington and Oregon. We use flea/tick meds purchased through our vet. We use Revolution for the cats and Advantage multi for our dogs. We've had very good luck for flea control but ticks aren't much of a problem here. We've never seen one on our animals. For ticks and hear worms monthly application is necessary for complete control.

The drug is systemic I think...the drugs soak in through the skin. The fine print info from the box makes me thing this stuff is VERY nasty for us long-lived humans. Keep kids away until all visual evidence is gone from the pet's neck.

I just purchased a box of 6 for both cat and dog meds. The $165 bill for both was slightly less painful because of a promotion where a free tube was included when a box was purchased--7 doses for the price of 6.

Isn't Advantix Advantage with tick prevention added? We don't have a tick problem here, thankfully, so I just use the Advantage.
I wonder if it just didn't have time to work on them before you discovered them? I think they have to suck the host animals blood before they die. They could have built up a resistance to it where you live. Here Frontline does nothing, but Advantage works excellent for the fleas.
I would ask local dog owners what is working for them.
Good Luck!

See now we have had good results with Advantage and Advantix...
hu.gif
However, what also works wonders is Garlic. You can buy tablets or put a little in their food, works very well.

Redhen

There is no product that kills ticks right away. Advantix works but it takes 24 to 48 hours to kill the tick...so as gross as it is, it is working- but not instantly.
I use Frontline Plus- same effect. I remove the ticks I see, and rely on the Frontline to kill what I miss.

sad.png

Also- make sure to get the Lyme disease vaccine for your pup because you live in a high- tick area.

Back
Top Bottom