Does ADVANTIX Even Work??!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, May 15, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My pup has had at LEAST 10-12 ticks found on her in the last couple of days (after we took her for a walk on some trails on our street)...
    I treated her with Advantix over a week or 2 ago.......
    Soo..... WHY is she still getting ticks?? I thought the stuff killed ticks?? Nope..there they are.... butts in the air... sucking blood... GAH! [​IMG]
    What else can i do to help protect her and my other dog?? Any other med work better??

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Ew, ticks turn my stomach. XP Never found away to keep them off our dog...or us, in Virginia. It was like a tick Armageddon there.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am thinking I have heard that K-9 Advantage works better. Fortunately we don't have fleas or ticks here. Or roaches. [​IMG]

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

We tried Anvantix once. Total waste of money.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:In the past we tried a few different brands. Don't waste your money on Bio-Spot, it does NOT work. Frontline was our favorite brand.

Our Guineas have really made a major dent in the tick population. We haven't given our dogs anything for ticks in well over a year and they're still practically tick-free.

6. katie4

katie4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    I used Advantix once. I concur that it is a waste of money.

Ticks are a moderate problem in the western part of Washington and Oregon. We use flea/tick meds purchased through our vet. We use Revolution for the cats and Advantage multi for our dogs. We've had very good luck for flea control but ticks aren't much of a problem here. We've never seen one on our animals. For ticks and hear worms monthly application is necessary for complete control.

The drug is systemic I think...the drugs soak in through the skin. The fine print info from the box makes me thing this stuff is VERY nasty for us long-lived humans. Keep kids away until all visual evidence is gone from the pet's neck.

I just purchased a box of 6 for both cat and dog meds. The $165 bill for both was slightly less painful because of a promotion where a free tube was included when a box was purchased--7 doses for the price of 6.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Isn't Advantix Advantage with tick prevention added? We don't have a tick problem here, thankfully, so I just use the Advantage.
    I wonder if it just didn't have time to work on them before you discovered them? I think they have to suck the host animals blood before they die. They could have built up a resistance to it where you live. Here Frontline does nothing, but Advantage works excellent for the fleas.
    I would ask local dog owners what is working for them.
    Good Luck!

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

We use Frontline. Haven't seen a tick on the dogs.....well maybe like 2 ticks in 4 years. I still get a few on myself when I go out in the sticks.

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    See now we have had good results with Advantage and Advantix...[​IMG] However, what also works wonders is Garlic. You can buy tablets or put a little in their food, works very well.

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Redhen

There is no product that kills ticks right away. Advantix works but it takes 24 to 48 hours to kill the tick...so as gross as it is, it is working- but not instantly.
    I use Frontline Plus- same effect. I remove the ticks I see, and rely on the Frontline to kill what I miss.

[​IMG]

Also- make sure to get the Lyme disease vaccine for your pup because you live in a high- tick area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by