Does an increase in humidity cause the temperature to rise on digital thermometers?

soldonold

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Burlington, Kansas
I have a question that might seem dumb, but oh well . . . here goes. I have been incubating a dozen eggs in a Hovabator with a waffle thermostat and fan. I'm on day 7, and I've kept the humidity at 40 - 45 percent. And the temperature has been stable at 99.3 to 99.7 with no adjustments. Today, I accidentally overfilled a little bit (I'm using a tube through the side into one of the channels). And the humidity jumped up to 60. It is coming back down pretty fast (I live in Colorado where it is very dry so I'm not worried about high humidity for a few hours.) But, when the humidity jumped up, so did the temperature. I have an Incubator Warehouse thermometer/hygrometer that sits on the turner with the eggs. I also have two different temp./humidity probes from Incubator Warehouse. Those all jumped up to 100.0 to 100.4 (depending on which one you look at -- yes, I am paranoid about my stupid temperatures!) I also have an Egg-O-Meter, that was stable at 100.4 when the others were at ~99.5 (It's about a degree off - reading too high) and it jumped to 101.8 when the humidity went up!! which I don't believe at all. So my question is why did the temperature jump like that when the humidity increased? I have no plans on adjusting the thermostat -- I'm just curious and I know there is some smart person out there who knows what's going on!

Usually when humidity increases, temperature drops.
When humidity decreases, temperature rises

Sigh, thermometers and hygrometers just demand constant calibration. but if I'm reading correctly, you have several of them in there. It doesn't mean all are accurate. Since it was a minimal spike, maybe everything is fine, If it doesn't jeapordize your hatch, I'd pull one of those thermometer/hygrometers out and calibrate it! Hope this helps and have a blessed day.

Last edited:
Thank you! All of the thermometers are back to a normal reading (99.5 - 99.9) except the Egg-O-Meter, which is still at 101.8 (supposedly the internal temperature of the eggs), which I don't believe at all, since none of the other thermometers (they all have memories) ever reached that high. They didn't go over 100.4. The internal temperature can't get higher than the max temperature that the air reached, can it? I'm just hoping that this whole incident is some kind of strange instrumentation thing, and that the temperature didn't go over 100.0, which is the reading of the one thermometer that sits on the turner that I trust, because I've hatched with it before. Unless high humidity affects a waffle thermostat in some way I'm not aware of?

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom