Does an injured leg ever heal?

pugasaurusrex

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
NW Indiana, Chicago
I found one of my hens laying lopsided in the dirt Sunday afternoon. When I approached her, she sort of fluttered around and I realized that her left leg was hurting her. It was stuck out in front with the toes curled. She seemed like she was in pain at first, so I gave her a baby aspirin with her food and let her relax in a pet carrier in the house.

The next morning, she wasn't in pain. In fact, she was clucking and seemed very alert and happy. She eats and drinks very well. I examined her leg and can't figure out what the injury could be! I checked for bumblefoot and there aren't any fractures in the bones. I think it's more injury-related rather than something like Marek's because she had a scratch on her comb with a a little blood, almost like she fell or maybe jumped in the coop awkwardly.

It's been two days since her injury and he hasn't seemed to make any progress. I've put her outside with the other girls each morning and she can start to stand a little, but she can't balance and she can't walk at all. She just lays and keeps her left leg in front or to the side.

I don't know what her injury could be, and I've read plenty of threads on here that seem related, but I haven't seen a direct response. Will her leg heal in time and with proper care, or will she forever be crippled? I'd hate to cull her because her quality of life seems pretty good, otherwise. She loves eating pumpkin and scrambled eggs as extra treats now that she's in the house!

Last edited:
Thanks for your response! I'm still a little skeptical of it being Marek's. I only have 5 chickens; they've never been in contact with other chickens. I live in an urban area and the next chicken coop is probably 10 miles away. Also, she's 3 years old. I realize that the virus can be carried by other factors, but the rarity of the situation makes me think it might be a vitamin deficiency now. I'm starting her on B2, so I hope this helps!

It does sound like an injury. I have one right now in in a sling in the 'hospital' (A.K.A Laundry room!) . I know she was hit by a car, but the only damage i can find is bruised feet. Can't really say if your girl will get better, but if you want to try nursing her along, go for it. An older country woman once told me that "Sick chickens die and injured chickens recover." And to date that has been my experience. Good luck.

The update is that her pelvis is fractured in multiple places, not her leg. I have her on bed rest by wrapping her up in a towel. I'm nervous about putting her in a sling because her darn wings are so strong that she can flop out of almost anything. I think I'll give it a try, though. That's probably cleaner!

I guess the healing time for fractured pelvises in birds is about a month, so I'll hold on to her and see if she improves. She's actually in great spirits. She's eating and drinking, and she loves to be held and taken outside to see her sisters. I'm feeding her regular layer feed, pumpkin mixed with a little Ensure Active to get her protein and vitamins, and little pieces of bread with a crushed up baby aspirin (once a day, if she seems to be breathing hard).

I was trying to do some physical therapy last week by putting her on her legs, but I'm nervous I'm the one that caused her pelvis to fracture additional times! I'll keep her off her feet for a couple of week until she shows improvement in that one leg. I hope she does!

Did you get her Xrayed to find the fractured pelvis? It can take a couple of weeks to a month for broken bones to mend. I'm glad that she is eating well. I would probably make sure that her layer feed was 90% of her diet, since it will be balanced with protein, vitamins, and minerals. The Ensure could have too much sugar. Eggs might boost the protein.

Yes, I got her x-rayed, but the vet seemed to know right away by the way she couldn't move her leg. I guess that even if a leg is broken, there are SOME signs of movement. This one looks to be completely paralyzed.
I have her regular layer feed in the cage with her. She's being pretty picky with foods lately. I'll make her scrambled eggs one day and she'll gobble them down, but the next day, she won't eat a bite. I should probably stick solely to her layer feed so that she doesn't become too spoiled.

Keep an eye on her crop to make sure that it is emptying by early morning. Probios Dispersible Powder is a good source of probiotics that may help with intestinal health. Sometimes I will use a small amount of buttermilk, raw egg, then mix it into chicken feed for a good high protein snack with probiotics. I hope her pelvis heals without any nerve damage.

Back
Top Bottom