Does any one else Feed dog and cat food?

buc

Songster
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
kansas
For about two years during the winter I feed dog and cat food both dry and canned to my chickens. I get it free from a gal that works with Wal-Mart who gives her the out of date/dented/torn bags.

I have not seen any ill effects on the birds nor in the number of eggs they produce.

Looking at the protein percents it is around 18 - 25 on most food.

My girls get leftover canned cat food every morning in the porridge I cook for them. Guess thats more of a "treat" than their diet. I don't know if its good for them or not, but they LOVE it.

I bought a Troy Bilt chipper/shredder and we buy dog food by the 55 gallon barrell and we chop it up and ad it to the layer pellets. They LOVE it and they are all so fat and shiny.

The only criticism I've seen about feeding dog & cat fod is:

It's high in salt and may lack all the essential amino acids that a chicken may need, but I don't know if it's true. I give it to mine but just small amounts and what they can steal from the cats. If your chickens are healthy I don't see a problem.

Imp- I'd give them more if I could get it free.

I give mine cat food especially when they are molting. They usually steal the cat's cat food on a daily basis when they sneak into the garage when I'm feeding my stray cats.

Quote:
I have found that some of the dog food they will pick over, except in the coldest of winter days. The Broad Breasted Turkeys I have on the other hand are like pigs with wings.

I sometimes give them dog chow. I just soak it in water first and they go mad. I thought it was pigs that were supposed to eat anything.

Maybe my chicks have an identity crisis.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom