Does any one know any thing about raising meat birds for profit?

Machine gun hand

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Cascade foot hills wa
I have a huge place I think with the right flock protection measures. Feed to grazing on four acers of pasture ratios that possably a profit could be turned. Do you think Ive gone cluck cluck in the head? Please tell me your opinions.

You won't make a profit on raising a few meat birds. The work alone is staggering to keep up with the poop load.
Once you see how they eat, oh, and they do eat, you'll be glad to be finished with them.

You can make a profit not big but something. You will need to raise about 800-1,000 birds min. They will not graze for food to keep weight on them. You need to only let them graze about 1/4 acre per 100 at a time. This only lasts about a week or two. Then on to the new area. It is pretty much a full time job to raise enough for a profit, but it won't be enough to make anything for your time. You'll need to raise other animals along with chickens or ?? Good Luck !! You can email me if you have any other questions, as I might be able to help you out.

Yeah, you'd have to raise a lot to actually make a substantial profit. I started selling mine this year. I have 3 customers, and I'll make enough (a few bucks per bird,) that my personal chickens will be "free." That's enough for me at this point, and keeps my wife from thinking I'm nuts with spending our money on all these chickens!

you could if you were going after growing thousands at a time. If you are only going to do 100-300 at a time then I would just build cheap hoop housing out of 2x4's for the base and the 2 hog panels the 16' ones and a tarp or two. This will make you a 9'x12' house add two wheels a you got a move able house so the poop doesn't pile up in one place. let them out during the day time and lock them up at night.

If you want to make a profit raising these birds you need to do a lot of research first. Maybe buy a couple of books. I would recomend Pastured Poultry Profits.

Your not going to make any money unless you have a niche market for them who would be willing to pay top dollar for premium birds. There is too much competition for conventional chicken (raised in barns). It would be ok if you wanted to raise a few for your own consumption but not for a profit.

You need to pasture raise your poultry on the 4 acres you have to minimize feed cost, labor cost, and so you have a premium grass-fed product to sell to your customers. You will see that the demand for pastured poultry is extremely high. You can't feed the world with this type of farming but you can make a nice living from it, it's not the pay of a typical farmer. But you have to be smart and you must not cut corners. If you are serious about it, you will see what I mean. If you look at the photos you will see the birds are kept very clean... manure is not an issue when raised like this. The birds are extremely well fit and rugged for this type of farming. Both breeds seem to out preform the conventional "barn" raised chickens.

Raise the chickens in tractors. Below are some photos of other farmers. The last one is a close up of mine.

1855_pvc_tractor.jpg

1855_salatin_model.jpg

1855_red_broilers_in_tractor.jpg

1855_dsc00045.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input you have been so helpfull. The chicken tractors are a great idea. Its looking like the infra structure will be the deepest cost at this point in time. When I return home I will start to devlope the political reprote( permits) needed to stay out of trouble. With a intergated flock protection measures need to reduce losses to coyotes. My place will look like a forward operating base found on the Afgani/ Paki border when Im done.
lol.png

Last edited:
You can manage it with hoop houses and poultry netting, as well. You should read Joel Salatin's Pastured Poultry for Profit...you should be able to find it on Amazon real cheap. In order to make a profit on smaller flocks than are mentioned here, you would have to do your own processing and selling at your place and have a market in place before you start(a customer list or base).

Back
Top Bottom