Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

As if this thread isn't long enough already...I want to add to it with MORE questions.

To begin with, I looked at this thread because I want to find out how to treat my flock of bantam and standard chickens for roundworm (I think). I found a "poo" in the coop this morning that had what looked liked Angel Hair pasta in it...not the flat worm that breaks into little rice-like pieces, but a long, thin, round strand of pasta-colored worm. Roundworm, right? (That is the first question)

This thread has A LOT of information, but it gets very confusing because people are talking about treating external parasites (like mites and lice) as well as internal parasites. There is conflicting information/opinions on what the best medicine is to use (assuming you want to go with a medicine). I found it confusing to understand the dosage - amounts, method of delivery (orally, in their water, injected, paste, drops on their skin...and doesn't it matter if you treating for internal versus external???), frequency of dosage (once...and then again in XXX weeks/days, 3 days in a row, ....??? Use something completely different the second time), and whether or not to eat the eggs (both human consumption as well as feeding them back to your chicken - I have read people's comments that feeding the "medicated" eggs back to the chickens only increases the withdrawal period because you are reintroducing the medication back into the bird), and what about the pharmaceutical companies warnings that a particular medicine should not be given to chickens that provide meat or eggs to humans...how many of us have chickens just to look at? Do they mean that if I give a certain med to a chicken, I can NEVER eat that chicken's eggs or that chicken (meat)...ever?

What would be lovely would be a description of each type of parasite (internal and external) - ideally with pictures - how the chicken gets the parasite (i.e. from eating flies), what the medicine is that best treats it (or what to start with, and then what to use next time), exact dosage (amount, method of delivery, frequency of dosage, requirement for re-dosing, and withdrawal period for eggs), where to get that medicine (online sources, retail sources), as well as the info for other options, side effects, homeopathic remedies (or preventative methods).

Probably too much to ask!! But there are so many threads on "worms" and so many opinions it is really difficult to follow. I thought I knew what to do for this roundworm thing, but then wondered if the reply I was reading was for external parasites.

SO - I have never treated my flock for worms, but I have used Ivermectin (POUR-ON for Cattle - contains 5mg ivermectin per mL - blue liquid, dosage says use 1mL per 22lb of weight), for mites and lice (put a few drops on the back of their necks), I do use DE sporadically in their coop and a bit in their food. Should I use this same stuff for roundworm? Do I treat everyone? Do I put it in their water and let everyone drink from it? If so, how much per gallon? If not, how do I give it to 50-odd birds? Do I put drops on their skin? I'm so confused!! And heck, do I really need to get rid of the eggs - and if so, for HOW LONG?? Has anyone had a reaction worse that a rash for a few hours?

Oh - and if this is roundworm, do I need to clean out the coop AGAIN once I am done dosing? I just got rid of all the straw and added new today (did a complete coop scrub about 3 weeks ago)...does it matter? Will any eggs or adult worms that are in their poo be problematic to my treatment?

Love the website - love the advice - I just need clarity and simplicity! Sorry. And THANK YOU!

I have Ivermax injectable 1% Ivermectin left over from my goat (who suicided on Layena), I have Wazine wormer, Sevin, DE, a broom, a rake, bleach and orange oil for the perches.

I got a couple of older birds from a friend who I am quite sure have some kind of mites, they are missing feathers on necks and rears. I put my broody black australorp out there, and now she is missing some feathers around her vent, about a 3 inch circle.. There are 3 of these mature birds, thank goodness in isolation from the main flock, I also have chicken wormer, DE powder, and sevin dust, as well as a coop that needs a good cleaning.

2 drops Ivermax per adult bird under wing? Do or don't do DE or Sevin on the birds at the same time (I put DE in the nesting straw last week). I am thinking that Ivermax eliminates the need for Wazine right now, or might be contraindicated as the combination might kill my chickens. The older girls aren't laying that much right now, and I have 2 to add to the old girl coop, and 12 young birds due to start laying soon, so I'd like to get everyone good and healthy and coops clean, to get all off to a good start.

Last edited:
A friend working cows dumped the entire dose for a 1200 lb cow on himself. He didn't think to use the water trough to rinse off in until about 30 minutes. That allowed it to be all absorbed. That night he passed a 26 inch tape worm and some smaller ones. The ivermectin label claims it will not get tapes but this high dose did so.It didn't kill him but he was shocked at how much more energy he had after getting rid of his silent suckers. People don't think about chickens getting worms - everything including people get worms.

2 drops Ivermax per adult bird under wing? Do or don't do DE or Sevin on the birds at the same time (I put DE in the nesting straw last week). I am thinking that Ivermax eliminates the need for Wazine right now, or might be contraindicated as the combination might kill my chickens. The older girls aren't laying that much right now, and I have 2 to add to the old girl coop, and 12 young birds due to start laying soon, so I'd like to get everyone good and healthy and coops clean, to get all off to a good start.

Yes, that's the right dose and you can repeat after 5-7 days. Should do the trick for about 6 months. You can use DE or Sevin at the same time: - I do, to keep the coop clean and an unfriendly environment for the mites. I also dusted my one bird for a quick start until the Ivermectin started to work. There are no known interactions between these things, so it is safe.

Well it seems to have worked in one dose. I also mopped out the coop and put sevin dust in the corners, orange oil on the perch, sevin dust in the nest box under fresh straw.

I added my 2 other mature hens to the old hen pen 2 days ago. They don't seem to be "catching it". (when I put my black australorp out there she seemed to start losing feathers on neck and around vent right away.

I wormed the girls, all of them, young and old, with wazine on Sunday June 9th, and am discarding eggs until June 23rd. Not that there are many to discard. The pullets aren't laying yet and the old girls are not laying much either, which is why I wormed them. thank you.

is there a difference between injectable and ivermectin that is intended to be applied to the skin? Because I gathered there was,and that the injectable is just a step above useless, except for mite treatments. Working at dusk, by myself, they got a drop or 2 of 1% injectable on the skin under the wing.

I tried to look up microgram per milliliter and struck out. So at 1% injectable, 0.25 ml probably equals 2.5 microgram, and my birds weigh about 3 lbs each. The one who pulled the wiggle when I had 3 doses in the syringe got dunked in water for a rinse off. Everyone else got a carefully measured dose this time. Bare patches around neck and vent, I have done the coop, and the first dose changed the color of the bare patches from bright pink to white, like the irritation was greatly reduced. But I don't want the 2 healthy birds picking this up, so they got one dose tonight, and the original 3 got a 2nd dose tonight. I'm throwing eggs out til the 23rd anyway, not that they are laying much. Feeding more protein and put them in that run because it is cool and shady, it is molt time.

Back
Top Bottom