Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

And Fenbendazole 10% (Safegaurd or Panacur, liquid or paste) for internal parasites. I've even used them at the same time, but I would not recommend doing that based on the depression the birds showed for 24 hours after.

-Kathy

I've got bare necks on 3 birds that moved into the pen formerly used by my goat on the lot, 2 of those birds came from another flock. Using the ivermectin on skin other wing reduced some of the inflamed look of the bare skin, but not sure if feathers are growing back. I can't see anything on the birds that looks like mites, but the 3rd bird came from my back yard flock when she got broody and when she got it, I assumed something contagious. I have since added my 2 oldest birds from the back yard, on the 9th, and they do not yet have bare necks.

I have done sevin dust in nest boxes and corners of coop, (I keep bees, NOT doing the dirt in the run), ashes in the dirt in the run, and ivermectin under wing. I also wormed them with wazine on the 9th since eggs are scarce right now.

Suggestions?

<snip>

There's a great (free) e-book put out by the World Health Organization specifically about poultry parasites, including how to figure out what you're dealing with using tabletop techniques (i.e., what you have around, plus a cheap microscope): http://www.smallstock.info/reference/KVLDK/Poultry_Parasites.pdf ; it (unsurprisingly) tells smallholders to rotate the -zoles and piperazine, which is exactly what most on this board will recommend.

Joanna Kimball
blacksheepcardigans.com

Sadly, that link is no longer valid. :( Would anyone happen to have a copy of that .pdf kicking around..? I'd love to have it!

I've got bare necks on 3 birds that moved into the pen formerly used by my goat on the lot, 2 of those birds came from another flock. Using the ivermectin on skin other wing reduced some of the inflamed look of the bare skin, but not sure if feathers are growing back. I can't see anything on the birds that looks like mites, but the 3rd bird came from my back yard flock when she got broody and when she got it, I assumed something contagious. I have since added my 2 oldest birds from the back yard, on the 9th, and they do not yet have bare necks.

I have done sevin dust in nest boxes and corners of coop, (I keep bees, NOT doing the dirt in the run), ashes in the dirt in the run, and ivermectin under wing. I also wormed them with wazine on the 9th since eggs are scarce right now.

Suggestions?

I've heard good things about Orange Guard. I'll be off to the coop shortly to scrub it down with it especially all the cracks & nooks where the little buggers like to hide!

We used to try using all of the natural stuff, like DE, but now we use poultry dust and Sevin Spray. I sprayed that Orange stuff on them and watched them walk in it, lol, make me think of the movie Mars attacks when the martian inhales the nuke.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom