Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

I have to believe that ivermectin either only works in certain regions or those who say it doesn't work got a bad bottle. It no doubt killed my mite and lice problem last year and I had a horrid case!

missypebble your description sounds like mites, especially because you haven't stated seeing them. While its dark, take a napkin/paper towel and wipe the bottom of a roost pole. If you see flecks of red you likely have red mites. If theres a lot of red, your infested! Permethrin is a quick fix and could be used to treat the birds and the housing, or you could try the ivermectin and see if it works for you. You still need to treat the housing though.
Do me a favor... next time you have one with lice, take pictures of the lice, give ivermectin, then post before and after pictures. Also include type of ivermectin used, how it was given, amount given and approximate weight of bird.

-Kathy

Please excuse my ignorance...I'll try the Sevin, and the Ivermectin as I know I need to do something drastic.

Can you let me know exactly what Ivermectin to use? There are so many types when I did a search on it, and I have no clue which is the correct one...

Thanks again both!!!

Please excuse my ignorance...I'll try the Sevin, and the Ivermectin as I know I need to do something drastic.

Can you let me know exactly what Ivermectin to use? There are so many types when I did a search on it, and I have no clue which is the correct one...

Thanks again both!!!
Don't waste your money on the ivermectin, just buy the Sevin or poultry dust and dust your birds. And maybe try this spray in your coop:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-1-qt

Just to be clear, you do *not* need ivermectin!

-Kathy

Don't waste your money on the ivermectin, just buy the Sevin or poultry dust and dust your birds. And maybe try this spray in your coop:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-1-qt

Just to be clear, you do *not* need ivermectin!

-Kathy

x2

Use sevin dust or anything with permethrin - they will kill the mites instantly.

I recently had a problem with a broody infested with red mites - she was pale, anemic, lethargic beyond belief. I bathed her (head to toe) in a 1:2000 neem oil solution. I couldn't believe how many mites fell off her! I also use neem oil (1:33 solution with a few drops of washing up liquid) to spray the coop but it needs to be done at least twice (spray everything thoroughly the first time and then again two or three weeks later) and you have to accept that there will always be a few mites that have escaped, that will have to be mopped up at a later date. Neem oil doesn't kill instantly (unless you smother the mites with the solution), but it acts long-term to stop them feeding, and then they die. I have found a few grey mites in the coop, but very few that are red (indicating that they have fed recently).

I used the Durvet ivermectin 5 mg/ml pour on and gave each bird exactly .5 ml under the wing, regardless of the birds size. These were all large fowl, no bantams. Worked better than I could of hoped. I also used a high pressure sprayer and literally soaked the coops with a permethrin made by Martins that's 13.3%. I mixed it at 1ml per gallon of water and it killed everything that crawled, quickly! I believe it could kill chickens at that rate so keeping the chickens away as the directions state is now understood! I recommend long sleeves, pants, and gloves. Face mask is optional because I don't trust them, so I only stay in the "mist/fumes" for as long as I can hold my breath each time.

IF I were to use a permethrin as a dip or spray for birds I would either get a different product with a lower % of permethrins or mix the product I have at a much lower percentage, probably a little less than .5ml per gallon.

Its possible to have lice as well as mites and if opting for ivermectin and for whatever reason the birds still have lice, I would try a permethrin dust
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/gardstar-garden-and-poultry-dust-2lb

I would like to find the time to research the good/bad about both ivermectin and permethrins. That is the only thing that could potentially sway me from resorting to ivermectin IF needed. When people get head lice they could be prescribed a medication with either/or. There's probably plenty of info out there as to why both are an option but I've yet to google it!

I used the Durvet ivermectin 5 mg/ml pour on and gave each bird exactly .5 ml under the wing, regardless of the birds size. These were all large fowl, no bantams. Worked better than I could of hoped. I also used a high pressure sprayer and literally soaked the coops with a permethrin made by Martins that's 13.3%.
The permethrin is what is keeping mites of your birds, not ivermectin. What works on mammals doesn't necessarily work on Avian species.

Does anyone know if moxidectin is an effective wormer?

-Kathy

I've used Quest Plus equine gel for tapeworms a long time ago. It killed the tapes, but I wont use it again...z-gold is more safe.

The product I was thinking about looking into is a liquid moxidectin.

-Kathy

Interesting stuff I learned about Depluming mites from my poultry vet today. :)

I always thought these mites were pretty rare in poultry, but it turns out they are actually quite common. They only seem rare because like other parasites, the birds learn to control Depluming Mites. If the bird is healthy enough, these mites never cause problems and thus are rarely dealt with. 

However if the bird is in a weakened state for any reason, these mites can over take the bird and then they do cause issues. Hence, old and birds that have been sick a long time can look pretty ratty.

The Depluming mite lives much of it's entire life inside the feather shafts nearest the skin, consuming the feather from the inside out. They do travel from feather to feather on the skin of the bird, however most of their lives are spent deep within the shaft of the feather. Interestingly enough, they do not lay eggs but bare live mites. They do not crawl around on your roost bar or hide in corners of nest boxes, but are transferred bird to bird through direct physical contact. These mites are very similar to the Leg Scale Mite and are invisible to the naked eye. 

As the mites are busy burrowing into the feather shafts and consuming the juices of newly growing feathers, this causes irritation and the bird will over preen and even pluck their own feathers. Each time a new feather grows and is plucked by the bird due to these mites, eventually the feather follicle can become damaged, atrophy and never grow another feather. 

If you suspect these Depluming Mites in your flock, you can pluck a couple of feathers near the area you thing this is happening. Take an exacto knife and split the feather right down the middle from top to bottom. If you have a heavy infestation, you should see some hollow places or a completely hollow shaft. Of course not every feather will contain these mites and a small infestation might not be seen this way and would require a microscope.

Ivermectin is the only treatment for this mite since it is not possible to access them from the outer skin with powders or sprays, being that nearly all of them are up in the feather shafts. 

Just some fun facts for you Mite Lovers!! :)

Wow two crows, this is great information!

So how do I use the ivermectin for treating the mites??

Back
Top Bottom