Does anybody know what this is?

Thank you......They have only been like this since I found them this morning in the back of the pen, they were fine completly fine yesterday. And no they could not have eaten any poison, or moldy feed. Thanks
he.gif

Last edited:
For the experts on this forum to help you I would suggest reading the second sticky note in emergencies and answer all of those questions...there are a lot of knowledgeable people here but they need all the info.
big_smile.png

This could be cocci, and it could be probably 3-5 other things. I have heard over and over on here to treat with antibiotics is very dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are treating. Just keep that in mind.
The first thing I do when I have a sick bird is bring them inside, keep them warmed, and comfy. A small dog crate works great because it is a little darker than an open cage. This can help keep them comfy until you figure out what might be wrong. Sorry you lost your chick, good luck with the other sick chick

Last edited:
Thanks...1) What type of bird , age and weight. Mix between wyandotte and jersey giant. 2 months, about 1-2lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. (Seziure)
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. (No) just flipping around, before that standing there not moving)
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. (Nothing I know of, became sick )
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.( one yes still in there, the other no...it died)
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. (normal a little runny)
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? (terramycin hydroxide)
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? (my self, not much money)
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. (I did)
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
(shavings fresh)

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.( one yes still in there, the other no...it died)

What do you feed your birds, and is the existing bird eating and drinking?​

They look exactly how my chicks have looked with cocci. It is a protozoan that is common in soils and until they develop a resistance to it, chicks are susceptible of getting a cocci inflammation in their digestive tract. It is not contagious like a col in humans is, but rather something that exists in the soil, so all are exposed. Plus, it will be in their stools. Treat with Sulmet (or similar) immediately. You may need to give the remaining one some in a syringe to get it into their system if he/she is not drinking well. I am sorry that you lost one.
sad.png
hugs.gif
Cocci is fatal if not treated immediately. I had one that was on deaths door and I stayed up all night giving a her water every 15-30 minutes since she wouldn't drink on her own. She made it. I hope yours does too!

Thanks....
smile.png
...I feed my birds scratch, laying pellets, oats, and leafy greens. The existing bird is not drinking, or eating. The poor thing cant even sit still.

Last edited:
Purina makes a chick starter that is medicated to prevent cocci...you might want to get some of that. Plus I think layer feed has too much calcium for chicks...but don't quote me on that.
I hope you can save your chick...bring her inside and get her warm and follow the experts on the treatment!

Back
Top Bottom