Does anybody raise birds for feathers?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jun 25, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love to tie flies for fishing and that was the original intent I had when I decided to get chickens. Commercial hackle necks and saddles are outlandishly expensive. So I thought I would raise them for their feathers and by the by, I'd have some extra meat too. Well, that's fallen by the wayside cause I love my chickies so much now. Anybody else tie?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Since you usually kill the bird for the feathers, we wait until good ones to use fall out, then we collect them and give them to our friend that ties. She has told use the ones she uses, and the color, and we have gotten her lots of feathers. It is easy to get feathers when they molt too!

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking when I process my meat birds, I'll have capes galore!! Just dye them whatever color you want!

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    We sell deer tails for ties never thought of feathers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Awhile back someone had a long post about breeding chickens for hackles for fly tieing. Do a search and you should find it. It was really interesting and those birds had really long hackles and saddles. I think the biggest breeder is out west....Idaho or Oregon I think.

6. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    I have some andalusians and Exchequer leghorn with awesome colors,,,, if you want them, let me know.

7. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Hello. I tie flies too. I have been collecting some of the feathers from my millie fluer duccle roosters. They are really pretty. I have even used feathers from my old neighboor who had a parrakeet. It had green feathers which made some really cool flies. Do you think you could show me a picture of you fly tying desk? I will show mine when I get it all set-up. We just moved so most of my fishing stuff is still packed. Now I have a pond to test my flies in. What is your favorite fly? Mine is the Mylar Mickey Finn.

-Chickenman8

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by