Does anyone else hate 50 pound bags of feed?

That's the ticket, Banty! Chicken math does have division and subtraction functions. I'm getting ready to hit the subtraction button, just as I have a gal gearing up to set a batch of eggs!
I've been trying to make myself hit the 'subtract' button for a month now. :hmm It's the first time I've put birds onto the butcher list that weren't being terrible little snots, so I keep procrastinating. Plus it's not warm enough to use the hose yet. I tell myself I'll do it when it warms up. I will hit it eventually, though; that feed bill is a powerful motivator.

I've been trying to make myself hit the 'subtract' button for a month now. :hmm It's the first time I've put birds onto the butcher list that weren't being terrible little snots, so I keep procrastinating. Plus it's not warm enough to use the hose yet. I tell myself I'll do it when it warms up. I will hit it eventually, though; that feed bill is a powerful motivator.

Yeah, I have a Delaware rooster who's only crime is that he isn't as pretty as his brother. I keep letting other roosters push him down the cull list since he is a stabilizing influence in my bachelor pad.

I’m in my 30’s too, I have no problem moving the bags. Or storing them I guess I need to get more used to taking smaller portions out to the girls.

Chicken math has gotten me too, staring a second coop this week. I was going to mix my 6 week olds in with the hens this week but one with a limp and another addition has got me thinking I should add them to the other group and then move all 6 into the main flock in a few weeks or months....

For me the weight isn't yet an issue as I am almost 50 but not quite. It is just the fact that my birds refuse to eat anything I offer them but scratch, and then only the milo(this week).

I am starting to truly believe they get all they need from free ranging and pasture feeding grass. After all I am raising a heritage breed that arrived in the US in the 1850's.

Last edited:
I don't mind the heavy bag, but I have 4 hens too. I also get the crumble and it just seems to go to dust. mine won't do FF anymore and I like the ease of the direct feed with dry.

Last summer I was worried that mine were not eating enough or the feed was bad. Turns out I think they were just getting enough with free ranging ;)

What breed do you have ?

I don't mind the heavy bag, but I have 4 hens too. I also get the crumble and it just seems to go to dust. mine won't do FF anymore and I like the ease of the direct feed with dry.

Last summer I was worried that mine were not eating enough or the feed was bad. Turns out I think they were just getting enough with free ranging ;)

What breed do you have ?
Black Sumatras they were reportedly poor layers as my wife is veganish, however, they pretty much seem to lay an egg per day.

Back
Top Bottom